Rosco Benson in Combat Handguns

For those of you who know Rosco from his knowledgeable posts here, you can now put a face to the name. He's featured in an article on Scout rifles in the latest issue of Combat Handguns.
Rich

I have seen Rosco Bensons name and often wondered if it was the same person. As a longtime Combat Handguns reader I'll tell you that he is in the magazine a lot in the sections covering tactics and range practice. Chris in MO

Rosco, of course, shoots with Rick Miller and co. in southern Ohio. He's been to a few of our haunts up in west central as well. I remember him at Ft. St. Clair and Don Busse's ill-fated Saracens. Hope to see him again at Ft. St. Clair. We're trying to get the range to host some more general riflery matches for all those new scout rifles...

Yes, I get pictured in some of Rick's articles from time to time. I had the good fortune to get acquainted with Rick about twenty years ago. We've shot together since and I'm proud to call him my friend. I've had the priviledge of being one of his "lab rats" in the formulation of the "Paladin" scoring system. IDPA's "Vickers count" scoring is a derivative of the Paladin system (and not an improvement, in my opinion). Rick also designed the Paladin target. J.P. Denis, who was world IPSC president at the time, wanted to adopt it, but wanted to make some slight mods. Rick said okay, but asked that it be called by another name if modified. The result was the "Brussels" target which is still in use by IPSC. Rick also popularized the use of a maximum elapsed time limit or "dead time" in practice scenarios. Rick was also one of the founders of IPSC at the Columbia conference in 1976.

Over the years, Rick has written for most of the gun rags. Primarily, his articles have been on practical pistolcraft, but he has also published articles on combat shotgun technique, practical rifle work, pistol tuning, and SMG's. His articles have appeared in Guns and Ammo, American Handgunner, Guns, and various other mags. Currently, Rick writes exclusively for Harris Publications. His "Tactics" column and product "sidebar" appear in each issue of Combat Handguns. He also has articles in many of the Harris "annuals" which are published from time to time.

Given all of Rick's credentials, I can only chalk up his willingness to point a camera at me every now and then as bad judgement or possibly as a way to encourage other fat, old, and gray-haired shooters.

Rosco

Well, it's no wonder then why Rosco always gives me such great advice. He has helped me solve more than a couple "gun dilemmas".

Back