Rookie Shotshell Question

BigMikey76

I have not started reloading, yet, but I am looking at starting to load my own 410 shells, since I can't find any for sale. I have already started researching load data, powder types, etc. I haven't been able to find a straight answer on one specific thing, though: hull choice.

My main question is whether birdshot hulls can be reloaded with buckshot. I ask because I have a couple boxes of 3" high brass #6 shot (my designated bunny rounds) and, since I can't find any hulls for sale, either, I want to know if they are safe to reuse for buckshot, or possibly even slugs.

Whether yes or no, an explanation as to why would be appreciated, since I can likely apply the knowledge to other situations in the future.

Thanks in advance, folks!

Yes, but you do not mix hulls like you can brass for metallic. Hodgdon, Alliant, Lyman, BPI all have data for 410.
That said, if you do not have primers and powder, good luck finding any.

Mike, each set of load data you will find will be for some specific hull. If there's published data for your hulls and buckshot, then the answer to your question is yes. Hodgdon is a good place to start as they have a ton of data for a huge number of hulls.

As already mentioned, use data for the hulls you have. You can load slugs and buckshot in hulls that had bird shot. As long as the buckshot is lead you can interchange bird and buck in your load data. The loads given are for lead payload by weight. You will have to experiment a bit to see what components your gun will pattern well. Separate load data for buckshot is in the manuals. They have worked out the combination that worked best in the test gun, so that may be the best place to start, but it is not your only option.

You may find it difficult to roll crimp a hull that was fold crimped. Keep in mind that if you roll crimp, you will have a tough time loading the hull again. Folded crimp will load many times. Some slugs perform better with a roll crimp, but it is not always the best option.

Follow slug load data closely, it is not as forgiving as metallic cartridge, you can jump to high pressure with no warning. The same warning for shot loads, high pressure in a shotgun is low compared to metallic cartridge.

Do you have a press yet?

Look into converting rifle brass to all brass 410 shells. May be something to consider.

But then he just has to find some shot and some primers! Card and felt wads can be made with punches at home. It' may be easier than trying to find wads and 209 primers and all that stuff to make modern shot shells. For plinking, all brass may be a way to keep costs low. I've made some 44 mag shot shells for the hell of it as an experiment. It can be done. It may even work with 45 colt brass for some short shot shells.

Wads are plentiful as is shot. Primers can be found, but one must act quickly when they show up on a vendor's website. Expect to pay ~$200/5000 all in delivered

All interesting ideas. I'm not in any rush, so I can wait for primers and such to show up on the market. The other factor is that I don't even have a barrel to shoot buck shot with, yet. The barrel on my 410 can take chokes, but the only ones I have found for it are full and modified; it came with an extra full turkey choke installed. I'm waiting for an 18.5 inch security barrel to rear its head somewhere. Eventually it will be my wife's HD shotgun, since the 12 gauge is too much for her.

Thanks again for all the info!

Until you pattern it with the ammo you intend to use, it doesn't matter what the choke name is. Hit the pattern plate and see what you get.

I've always been told that buck shot through anything more restrictive than improved cylinder is a bad idea. Have I been led astray?

buck shot through anything more restrictive than improved cylinder is a bad idea. Have I been led astray?
Bad?, as in unsafe?
No, but it is probably not going to be your best patterning load.
Improved cylinder has long been established as the best choke for slugs or buck on average.
Just as FISTAC commented above, especially with today's interchangeable chokes, the pattern board
is the ONLY way to determine your best load.

JT

Back