Ron Paul made a very good showing on "Face the Nation" today..

I think Ron Paul is talked about almost as much as Hillary on this forum, but no where else. He is probably a decent person, but has NO CHANCE OF WINNING...PERIOD. So why waste time even discussing him. In some ways he has good points, but overall has as much common sense as a turnip green.

Wow Corn Dodger...your insight is amazing. What does that have to do with the topic of this thread, namely, Ron Paul's interview on "Face the Nation"?

Paul's comment about feeling more threatened by US policy towards Iran than by Iran's nuclear policy was disturbing.

Paul seems to be solidly in the "Blame America First" camp. To Paul, somehow, magically, every action by every rogue regime in the world is a response to incompetent or unsavory US foreign policy. And if only WE would change...

Pretty naive really.

Actually, Ron Paul said quite clearly that things wouldn't magically be better overnight...but that we would be removing a major thorn that's irritating the muslim world if we leave the region.

This is true.

Danzig said:

Actually, Ron Paul said quite clearly that things wouldn't magically be better overnight...but that we would be removing a major thorn that's irritating the muslim world if we leave the region.

This is true.

LMFAO ROFL. Oh lord I am sorry for laughing but it just can't be helped. To think that there are people in this country that believe the above dribble is beyond my scope of reasoning. The above is exactly one of the many reasons people don't take Ron Paul seriously. It is complete and utter nonsense and if Ron Paul actually believes that he has no business of ever becoming President of this Great Nation. Ron Paul wants us to throw in the towel and bow down to the terrorists wishes, LMFAO.

Some people just don't get it and never will.

I wish I could be as certain about things as xnavy seems to be. We (that's all of us, our parents and grandparents too) have a long and illustrious record of meddling in the internal affairs of other countries, usually to the detriment of the country in question and to the benefit of some bloated banking/industrial conglomerate. We also usually paint the whole issue with buckets of red, white and blue so it can be labled "patriotic."

I remember the process that installed the Shah in Iran so we could buy oil from him at a reduced rate. When the people of Iran threw him out (and us too) we helped set up a guy in a neighboring country to kinda keep those pesky Iranians in check. His name? Saddam Hussein. And does anybody else remember the 'arms for Iran' deal that also kept our fingers in Central America? And of course we now know there was no 'Tonkin Gulf Incident' to push us into Vietnam.

So now when almost every candidate mimics some form of the administration line about how the muslims hate us simply because we're free I tend to take a long, hard look at anyone who takes a different view. We may well have the best government on the face of the earth but that doesn't mean it has no room for improvement.

Of course a government "of the people" has to begin improving itself at the grassroots level and too many feel that they need no improvement and thus their ideas are already beyond reproach. As long as our debate is polarized to the extent it is regarding Ron Paul we're not going to get very far toward unaminimity on any candidate.

Ron Paul isn't perfect but no one else is either. He has some very good ideas and some not-so-good ideas but so do the others. I suggest we wait and see rathyer than tear each other apart.

What Paul is not realizing is the culture to which the terrorists adhere.

They respect only strength.

If you try to appease them, it means you are weak, and deserve to die.

And a lot of people, the Paulians, the Democrats, just aren't comprehending that facet of culture.

What Manedwolf is not realizing is the political climate in which the terrorists must exist.
It's easy to get fresh recruits to die for Allah when you're dropping bombs on them, putting their neighbors in secret prisons, and shooting up the streets indiscriminately.
It's a little harder to do so when the decadent society is minding it's own business on the opposite side of the world.

If the French, who help us throw off the yoke of the British crown, had not promptly left the US following the Revolutionary War, how long do you think it would have been until the Colonials went to war with the French?

The presence of an occupying army always induces resistance, unless the country is thoroughly and completely devastated. That is the problem with our current plan. When Bush was elected in 2000, he promised not to get involved in nation building. That is exactly what we are doing in Iraq.

We may well have the best government on the face of the earth but that doesn't mean it has no room for improvement.

Especially when it comes to picking friends.

Like Castro in Cuba. Hey, he'll help fight the commies! (Until he doesn't.)

Or Noriega in Panama. Hey, he'll do what we want! (Until he doesn't.)

Or the Shah in Iran, as noted.

Or the Taliban in Afghanistan. Hey, they'll fight the commies! (Until they pose a threat on their own.)

Or the current regime in Saudi Arabia, home to most of the 9/11 terrorists. (Until...)

Or the current nuclear-armed muslim dictator in Pakistan. Hey, he's helping us fight terrorists! (Until...)

Flash forward a few years, and you might find a US President saying this about Iraq...

The central government of Iraq that we were trying to help had all but wasted away, with Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish believers splintered into many competing sects, Iraq's political landscape had become a clutter of disorder, violence, and mayhem. Our policy was based on the expectation that the Iraqi army would subdue the militias of these rival groups and reestablish the central government's control over the country while the multinational force helped maintain order. But the Iraqi army simply wasn't strong enough to bottle up the centuries of seething sectarian hatred in Iraq; nor did they have the will to fight their countrymen, especially those with similar religious beliefs.

The quote is originally from Ronald Reagan, and he was talking about the Lebanese civil war. I just changed it to refer to Iraq.

Back