Romanian SKS at Turners, $179, good deal?

I'm not an expert, but if you plan to replace all that, I would think you might be able to find something cheaper. One of the mail-order distributors recently had Romanian SKSs with cracked stocks for pretty cheap ($120?). If you plan to buy a well-worn rifle and replace the stock anyway, I'd probably try to find a better deal. Otherwise, I'd probably shop around and try to find a nicer SKS that doesn't need so many parts replaced. If its that worn, I'd guess the barrel won't be much good, so why bother. I recently purchased two new SKSs (an original Russian and a Norinko Paratrooper) both for $500 (on sale). They were in virtually perfect condition, in original boxes, with accessories.

Doug

I have not gone to see them yet, I probably wont need a new bolt, or new sights for that matter but a Monte Carlo stock, and maybe a scope so I can hit things farther away.

Centerfire systems 1800 950 1231 has them with a replacement stock of your choice for $160. The scope mount package is $23. I have a Russian sks with a choate stock, wish I had the druganov stock. Have fun with it.

OK, Here's what I haved learned with the SKS's that I own. First of all, they can be very accurate in the right hands(1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. There are lots of scope mounts out there for the SKS, but the only one that really works is the K-mount. You will have to drill and tap the reciever and all of the tools come with the mount. Mount a good scope and you will have a good deer rifle out to 200 yards with Winchester ammo. The Advanced Technologies monte carlo stock is ok, but you will not be able to get your cheek down low enough to use the iron sights. Get the Dragunov style stock if you want to be able to use the iron sights effectively. I have spent a lot of money and time with dissapointing results. But the setup that I just mentioned has yielded good results for me.

The Hi-Pro mount will let you mount a scope without altering your SKS(drilling holes) but don't expect anything wonderful in the accuracy department. Even though the Hi-Pro mount has 2 stabilizing screws, each time you fire the gun, the bolt slams against the scope mount and the mount moves. The K-mount is the only one I have found that will actually hold zero. The cheezy scope mounts that people are using is one reason why the SKS has gained an undeserved reputation as being less than accurate. And just like any other rifle, some will shoot better than others. The SKS is still one of the best gargains to be found. I hope this helps.

Your comments regarding the SKS Hi-Pro Leapers Scope/mount combo seem to be very logical, could you please share with this discussion more information on the “K-mount” that you had the best results with?
The name of the manufacturer and or distributor of the scope mount that you recommended in this discussion would be appreciated.

The K-mount scope mount, I believe, is made by Advanced Technologies. It can be ordered from Centerfire Systems 1-800-950-1231. It come with the drill bits, taps, mount, and instructions. I recommend having it done by a gunsmith unless you feel comfortable that you have the skills necessary to do the job. The K-mount also allows you to use your iron sights. You will also need a brass deflector to keep your scope from getting hit by the ejected shells. Centerfire Systems also carries this. It's simply a piece of lexan that fits between the stock and reciever and bends underneath the scope.

Back