Romanian SAR

Skorzeny

I'd like some stories from those who own the Romanian SAR (with American made receivers).

On the one hand, I've heard that these are pretty nice for the buck. On the other hand, some have talked about the receivers cracking and other maladies of shoddy workmanship such as bent front sights.

What's the truth?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I'd like to hear this feedback also, with an extra spin.

Any input on the SAR-3 in .223? Is this a good system or is it better to stick with the round the rifle was designed for?

SA Scott

You guys might want to talk with the AK guru, Mike Prewitt. You can find him over at the www.falfiles.com board. He's built everthing from pistol AKs, to Galil clones, to AMD-65 clones. He can give you the ups and downs of the different receivers. You could also send him a SAIGA in 7.62x39 and have him convert it to any config you desire (within the 922r limits).

Personally, if it's a Hesse Ak receiver, I wouldn't touch it.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited May 25, 2000).]

Gentlemen, I just recently purchased a Romainian SAR-1 AK. For the money spent it is a nice rifle. I looked at a lot of them at gun shows and what I saw there does not compare. I bought mine from my dealer who purchased them from Century Arms. The wood on it is nice and everything matches. Front sight is not bent. It came with a 10 rd. mag,sling and cleaning kit. I have not yet had time to get it to the range so I can't tell you how it shoots. I stayed with the 7.62 because I also have 2 SKS and the ammo is cheap and readilly available. I'm pleased and I read over at WWW.AK-47.net alot of other happy owners, and there were some unhappy ones to. You may want to check over there at that web site. All in all I'm pleased with mine. I bought two 30 rd Chinese mags (new) from my dealer for it and three 30 rd Romanians (new) from Tapco. Also I just recieved a new 75 rd Chinese drum for it. So all I want to do yet is look at getting a muzzle break installed. I have no regrets with the purchase. :)

Hope this helps :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited May 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited May 25, 2000).]

I bought two of these SAR-1 rifles back in December. I have friends who bought several more (we ordered six from www.aimsurplus.com). I'm very happy with them. You should see one first, though. The wood finish often doesn't match and the finish is a little rough. But they work fine and are fun and cheap to shoot. They don't have a U.S.-made reciever. They do have enough U.S. parts to make it legal to have a pistol grip instead of thumbhole stock, and to use imported magazines (including drums). I think they have U.S. trigger parts and buttstock. You can find lots of information on www.ak-47.net.

I also recommend the standard 7.62x39 caliber. I don't see much appeal in the .223 and the other .22 caliber versions. Ammo is more expensive, magazines are more expensive and tougher to find, and what's the benefit? Better long-range accuracy? Give me a break - these aren't target rifles. Less recoil, well maybe I'd care if I had full-auto capability, but in a semi-auto, who cares? And the 7.62 is adequate and legal for deer if you ever want to hunt with it. I'd say get one.

I put a black plastic U.S.-made Bulgarian style stock on one of mine, and I have a Cobra Russian military red-dot sight that attaches to the built in mount on the SAR-1s. Looks and handles very nice for a cheap AK.

Doug

How durable is it (say, compared to Russian, Bulgarian or Chinese models)?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I just received my SAR-1 yesterday. I have pretty much jack for experience with AK's. Matter of fact, this is the first time I've ever even held one. Spent a good month looking at all the different kinds I could get. I ust say, I LOVE this thing. Like the man said. It's an AK. This is basically a plink rifle with some kick. Damn do I love this thing already. Anyone who is looking for mags or ammo, I highly suggest www.urbanarmory.com I got a full case of Wolf for 85$ and 5 30rnd Romanian Mags for 12$/each.

Back