Romanian SAR-1 (AK47 with US Parts)

DougB

Apparently these are fairly new on the market. They appear to be a low-end AK-47 with enough US parts to make them legal for use with a pistol grip (no thumbhole stock required) and high-capacity mags. I've read comments that they are better than the current Egyptian Maadi's, and cost about the same. But this was mostly conjecture - I haven't read or heard many actual experiences with these.

Anybody seen or used one? Would the quality be consistent enough to order one "sight-unseen" - or are there a lot of "lemons"? Thanks.

Doug

I think you are speaking of the ones that cost in the $200-$250 range. I do believe these have a block in the magazine, so they will not use standard AK type magazines. They come with a 5 round and a 10. If more ten rounders were bought, they would probably cost as much as a 30 rd AK type. A fellow posted that the block is easily removed so standard ak clips can be used, but that may be illegal. As far as quality I have a few Romanian AKMs they are as good as the Egyptian and Chinese clones. It's hard to find a bad AK design, they aren't the most accurate, but they will take a hell of a rough life without missing a beat. If you are satisfied with magazines holding 10 rounds that aren't enterchangable, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The AK design is one of the toughest concieved. The only problem is the dismal acurassy, mine print from 4"-3" depending on how many rounds I've fed them. For comparison I know a guy that has an SKS that can shoot 1.5" 5 shots all day off the irons.

Rob,
Thanks for the reply, but the SAR-1 uses standard AK mags. I think they may be made by the same manufacturer in Romania that makes the single-stack 10 round maximum rifles you are thinking of. My guess is that the quality is similar, but the SAR-1 will have enough US parts to make it legal to use high-capacity mags and have a regular pistol grip. But the 10-rounders are also tempting, given their low price. I think the SAR-1s cost around $400-$500.
Doug

Um... Rob? 3 to 4 MOA ain't dismal, for that kind of rifle. That means chest hits out to 4 hundred yards! My SKS, which I love dearly and would never part with, won't print under 3" at a 100, no matter how hard I try, but I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I guess it's just how you think of things. If your buddy's SKS is stock and can actually reliably shoot under 2", he's got a gem rarer than diamonds.

My SKS runs about 3.5 MOA, but will outshoot my father's MAK-90, any day of the week. Dad's Norinco MAK-90, which is totally stock, will shoot about 4 to 4.5 MOA. But it will function all day long, without a hint of stoppage. This is the value.

Sorry Long Path, I'm a varmint hunter, and under a half inch is more to my liking. Most of my hunting handguns will print 6 in the 4" range at 100 yards. The rifle calibers will stay under 2" with a pistol. Don't get me wrong I love the rat, tat, tat of an AK, I'm just a long range nut.

I also have a Daewoo Dr200 that uses an AK type action, it will print 1" groups in .223. If the anemic .223 had enough energy, theoretically that would be a chest shot at 1600 yards, that's why I like a little more acurassy.

DougB,
I saw something similar that J&G has in Shotgun News. A Maadi MISR 10 (AK-47 clone)it has the pistol grip and uses regular AK-47 mags and is made with some US parts. Cost is $398.50. I wonder if they are worth it.
Hiker

Hiker,
The Maadis are Egyptian (with some U.S. Parts). They seem pretty common and low cost, but they look pretty rough (even for an AK). Some seem to have good luck with them, others not. Sometimes the front sight is off-center.

Anyway, I'm interested in the SAR-1 (Romanian, with some U.S. parts) as an alternative to the Maadi. They are basically the same configuration, about the same price (maybe $20-30 more), but MIGHT be a little better quality. The AK47.web forums have some discussion of the SAR-1. Comments are mostly positive, but also mostly with no real experience. I gather that these are both pretty low-end compared to the Bulgarian rifles, etc. that cost $200-$400 more.

Back