Romanian M69 bolt action 22LR trainer

snowman748

I found a rifle in a pawn shop for $120. It was marked with "UMC2 1972" on the top of the action. I noticed that it looked surprisingly like a Mauser action even though it was 22LR and fed from a box mag even though the clerk said "it's a single shot". It has iron sights with three different rear sight arrangements that allow you to flip up and down. I figured it was some kind of military training rifle so I put it on layaway for $20. When I got home I did some research and found out it appears to be a Romanian M69 bolt action 22LR trainer. From the looks of things I think it's all original but the stock was refinished and it flaking off terribly. I probably sand it down and refinish it again. Overall it didn't look like it was in the best shape BUT will a little TLC it should be a nice rifle. I picked it up from the same pawn shop I picked my 1903A3 spotter from.

Any advise for someone new to these rifles? I'm already out $20 but should I go back and pay the other $109 to get it outta layaway (it was marked $120 and $9 for tax). I have 3 months to pay on it so not a super big deal.

Years ago, when those things were in stock all over the place, I bought one for each of my three sons. Those were their first rifles and were all pretty accurate little shooters. They can be a little finicky feeding from the Taiwan mags that came with them, so we did shoot them single shot style pretty often. The stocks were beech if I recall correctly, and I really like profile.

They were quite a bit less back at the time, but so was most everything else. I don't think $120 is a bad price for a nice little trainer. Keep it stock and you should be able to get that back out of it any time you want.

Pay it off man, what other rimfires do you see much of that are built for grownups and made to last? I've never seen a pretty one in top condition, but I've never seen one I'd kick out of the house either.

I bought one of those a few (several?) years ago for $100. It came with a spare bolt and a single shot adapter. It was surprisingly accurate. My son liked it so well that I ended up giving it to him. I will buy another if I get the opportunity. You should go ahead and get it.

I think I saw the same rifle your talking about in Denver Gun shop year's ago. Looked like a Mauser but really scaled down. The owner told me it was a German training rifle, I don't know. But I'll tell you this, I have regretted not buying it ever since. I'd get it!

A guy borrowed mine at an informal match and was soon asking, "Where's the safety?" It was off - the trigger is that stiff. Very accurate once you get past that.

Back