Romanian AK

I have one of the Romaks (7.62x39) that will accept the standard AK mags and it works like you would expect an AK to. The finish is much better than my Chinese MAK-90. For your info, there are no threads under the muzzle nut.

I think I only paid about $250 for mine.

I couldn't tell you if there are many like this, but I saw a 5.45x39 Romak whose barrel was obviously canted (7-10 degrees), at the trunion, to the right.

Make sure that you realize that the newest Romaks will not accept the original 30-round magazines.

the price is higher than you could imagine. I saw one (Chinese MAK-90) on sale for $475. Romak will cost more.

If you prepare that much money for an AK rifle, why don't you consider an VEPR, a very well made AK style rifle using RPK receiver. It costs you $650 but you get much better finish and the same reliability of an AK. It is more accurate than an AK too.

Just check out the magazine well and magazine. The new ones have a single stack magazine, so its very narrow. The older ones have a double stack (staggered) mag whose width is about 1/2 the length. The original type AK's only have about 1/4-3/8 of an inch on either side of the mag well.

Ask the dealer if he has one (30-rnd) you could test fit.

I think they call the newer ones AK-99 or something.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited July 16, 1999).]

Back