Romanian 8mm surplus, opening can safely?

I opened my first spam can with a hammer and chisel. Just do it gently. The metal is fairly soft and you can tap right through.

hey, that's an excellent idea. thanks!! I will try that tonight after dinner and the kids' homework is done. did you keep your "SPAM" can? wish the lid just came off nice and easy, as it looks like the kind of thing that would be cool to keep around in tact. :)

yeah, I ordered the 2 cans later on, while I was still waiting for this one to be delievered. the 2-cans order is still in pending status, so, I had no idea how I should open these things! ;)

your idea sounds fine. oh yeah, the crate looks re-useable as well. they both look very "historical" and collectible to me.

just got my first delivery. used a chisel as suggested, and peeled back enough to get a small carton out. the ammo is in pristine condition. as a matter of fact, when the first chisel stroke broke through, there was that "sssssssssss" sound that comes from opening an airtight (or sealed, like a vacuum pack) container.

it smelled really cool; old, but clean. kind of machine-shop-ish. I am totally stoked. going to shoot some at the range tomorrow. if it's cool, which I have little doubt it will be, I am going to order as much as I can without the iwfe kicking me out of the house. ;)

I've done the same as Homr.

It takes awhile, and you need to be gentle.

If you get a wide cold chisel, you can lay the blade pretty perpendicular to the top of the can and drive it forward with a hammer. That makes it go faster.

yeah, hear ya. :)

I just got back from the range, having shot 100+ rounds of the stuff. Sa-weeeet! nice an accurate, good power. Sooty as all get out though. but, as soon as I am done with this post, it's time to crack a beer and slather up that bore with some cleaning products. :D

I love this gun.

I was lucky enough to get a can opener with my first crate. Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered two more cases.

well, they tell you straight up that when you get 2 cans (one case in the wooden crate) a can opener is provided. I found mine (I subsequently got a whole case on another order) attached to the "lid" of the wooden crate by a screw.

I thought the crate was cool, if a little cold-war era simplistic. I was definately psyched by the thought, as I opened it, that it had not been opened for 35 years!!! my case order (2 cans) was dated 1973, whereas my single-can order was 1975.

When I can afford it next month, I am ordering another crate. the air tight "sealed" aspect of the ammunition containers is very enticing to me, in a SHTF type situation. heck it's lasted 30+ years and still shoots great. So, I would anticipate being able to store it successfully for years to come.

Plus, it's a piece of history, like the gun I shoot the ammo with. and in a pinch, you can always intersperse the newer 8mm ammo (though expensive) from the likes of Remmington, Prvi Partizan, and S&B.

it's all good!! :)

Hello Spam Can Brothers

Wow, do we think alike, or what?!? I did the two cans in the wooden ammo case order-thing, too. Opened the first can immediately using the included can opener, and have been shooting it (good stuff!) ever since, but keeping the second can intact for any contingencies which might arise, as in SHTF. :eek:

...Together with my 8mm Hakim, that's a pretty nice combination: An accurate semi-auto, built like a tank, on Swedish machinery, along with hundreds and hundreds of rounds of hard-hitting ammo. :cool:

agreed! (could you link to a pic of the Hakim, I would love to check it out). but yeah, I bought another Mauser (kind of a collector one, all matching serial numbers, etc.), so I'd shoot the same ammo, etc.

I have been looking at other weapons, but, it's all different ammo, and then it's all different cleaning suplies, etc...

same is good!! :)

I just use...

:rolleyes:

a half stick of dynamite. Works great :D

Nah, I got one of those openers with a double order. Seems more trouble than it is worth at times. I never gave a thought to 'vacuum sealed for your freshness' before though. :D

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Back