Rolling Block question

Huffmanite

Own a #5 rolling block Remington in 7x57.....1902 probably. Bore in it is decent, but problem in chamber in shoulder/neck.

Have toyed with idea of just rebarreling it, perhaps to another 7x57, or maybe a 250 Savage.

Just curious if its possible to just set the barrel back and run a 7x57 reamer down it to rid the bad spot in chamber?

Sounds like an interesting DIY if you are tooled up for it.
I don't know about paying a gunsmith for the work. Depends on your idea of a "decent" bore, I guess.

If a .280 reamer would clean up the shoulder, I would stick to starting loads.

Remington #5 rolling blocks are not really strong enough to take more than the 7X57, so no 280 or 7X64 or 280 Ross, etc. They shoot loose pretty quickly if you do. You could always get a little weird and go with a 444 , 9X57R, 30-40 Krag, 405 Winchester, or any other rimmed cartridge you can think of.

yes, a 7x57 pressure like cartridge is about all you want in a #5 Remington Rolling Block action.

As to making it a 30-40 Krag, which by the way I wouldn't mind having, or another low pressure rimmed cartridge. The 7x57 in my rolling block is a rimless one, not a rimmed one.....will not entertain idea of messing with extractor in my RB.

Talked to a guy a while ago .....

.....About relining my .43 Spanish RRB.

He wanted 250.00.

Guy near Gettysburg, PA.

Since there is no magazine, gas system, or any other need to keep the barrel at some specific length, setting it back one turn and rechambering should work just fine and can be done by any competent gunsmith.

Jim

I've got the same rifle with the same issue, and I actually considered a rechamber/rebore to 7.62x55. The Swiss round is fairly low pressure for what it is, and the existing overbored chamber is within its dimensions. Less of an issue with too-high pressures in available factory ammo, too. 7mm is getting kinda hard to find as well, sadly.

TCB

I bought a shooting supply of PRVI ammo for the reloadable brass for my 7 X 57... reasonably priced ammo, & great brass to reload

BTW... I also agree you are likely best off setting the barrel back & touching up the chamber...

Back