Roll pin question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthmaum

Okay, I found the roll pin on my 228 (see Master Blaster's thread on the same gun). My next question is: What does it do, and if it starts coming out, what will that cause? Mine seems to be in place.

Thanks in advance for helping me in my quest to learn more about guns. :)

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

Darthmaum--

Like most SIGs, but unlike most other pistols, the breechblock of the P228 is a separate part from the rest of the slide. The double roll pin holds the breechblock in place. Since a roll pin is essentially a spring that exerts tension on the surrounding pinhole, it's not likely to drift out. But, as you know, the pin does drift on some SIGs, I'm not sure why.

If the pin starts to drift, it can be recentered with a special roll pin punch (a standard pin punch will deform a roll pin).

However--and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong--the roll pin on a SIG is really not supposed to drift at all. Also, it seems to me that the more a pin drifts and is recentered, the more it's apt to drift. So, if this happened on my P228, I'd probably ship the pistol to SIGARMS and ask them to repair it.

Hope this helps some. :)

The roll pins (one inside another) hold the breechblock in the slide. They often drift to the right from normal firing (some will never drift) which requires they be tapped back into place. I have never seen one come all the way out on its own; the movement is very slight.

It holds the breechblock assembly in place within the slide. There are actually two rollpins, one small inside another larger one. If you remove the rollpins, the breechblock, firing pin block, and firing pin fall out.

The breechblock is that 2 inch piece of steel that is between the hammer and the chamber end of the barrel. It takes a lot of the abuse of shooting.

Like Jimmy said, a roll pin is basicly a spring in pin form. It is slightly larger than the hole it goes in and compresses inward when installed exerting pressure on the walls of the hole. Like any spring, it will eventually lose its tension and become loose. I suspect this is the problem you're talking about. Roll pins are cheap and easy to replace. Special roll pin punches are prefered, but if you're careful, a standard pin punch will work.

I understand the isue at hand. Although this is not the same pin as the one being discused. Ive seen the same style pin on a p220 in the trigger come completely out and the sig just keeps on shootin. The owner of this sig said he wanted to see how long he could keep shooting until it malfunctioned. He ordered the replacement pin and it took 2 weeks to come in. He fired this gun almost every day for the 2 weeks and never once malf'ed. Just goes to show how well built these firearms are made.

I cant wait to get one !

------------------
TIM : )

Hi, guys,

Before anyone gets his knickers in a twist (as the Brits say), the breechblock butts firmly against a shoulder in the rear of the slide. Since there is no pressure for it to come out frontwards, the roll pin serves merely to ensure the breechblock stays in place. It does not, repeat not, take any of the shock from firing.

Jim

Thanks so much guys! My next question was going to be "what's the breech block", but Destructo6 answered that one for me.

Now, if only I could figure out what that little crescent shaped piece of metal hanging down under my gun is for! ;)

Thanks again for furthering my knowledge :)

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

[This message has been edited by Darthmaum (edited November 12, 1999).]

I dunno, crescent shaped piece of metal hanging down? I just consulted my armorers
manuel...its the frumbussel. The thing that
casues so much frumbusseling when you try
to shoot. Remember to use a lot of finger oil
when you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back