Rohm RG24

nanney1

I've got a Rohm RG24, well actually, it's my wife's. Neither of us have ever shot it. Her dad gave it to her when she moved out on her own and she brought it with her after we were married.

Sat loaded in a dresser drawer for 6-7 years. Then stayed unloaded in a dresser drawer another 20 years.

Had a gunsmith look at it last week. He proclaimed it serviceable and cleaned and oiled it. Picked up a 50 round box of 40 grain Aguila .22LR earlier today. Plan to put 18-24 rounds max through it later this week at the range.

Just to be safe, I'll wear gloves.:D

RG is the best of the cheap guns imported in the 60's and 70's. I never saw one that wouldn't shoot. I've had several RG 66's and would love to have another one.

I was fairly surprised by an RG30 (.32 S&W Long) that I picked up cheap, and in pieces. It shot pretty well. ...When it functioned.

'Round about the 40 round mark (and second range trip), it randomly decided that it would no longer allow single-action use. The hammer would bind, stick, or just go dead. I tore it apart twice, and never could figure out what the problem was. I went back to trying double-action, and had the hammer drop between chambers. Dun fer! I wasn't wasting any more time on it.
I tore it apart for good. Now, it's half a dozen bags of parts waiting to be sold, and a frame waiting to be melted down.

The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Franken, You are more resolute than I as trying to make an RG function is akin to bailing out the Titanic with a coffee can. Your last sentence sums it up: “The whole is much less than the sum of its parts”. Not that I am opinionated. :D

Range report: Tooke the RG24 out today and put 44 rounds through it. Shot well. First few I wore thick gloves and had some trouble on the trigger reset. But once I took off the gloves if fired every time and was accurate.

After each round of 6, I set the Rohm to the side and shot my Shield 9 for a while. All in all, I was pleased with the Rohm, found it fun to shoot, and will take it back to the range.

A couple of guys asked me about it and even the range officer remarked that he liked my .22.

It did blow something on my off hand, leaving black powder marks. Stung a couple of times.

Nanny, The “something” is lead being shaved while trying to move between a cylinder chamber and incorrectly aligned barrel. Doubtful it has ever been properly timed from the factory.

So, I assume that the term "spitting lead" applies in this case. Probably will throw on an old work glove to wear on my left hand when shooting. Didn't have any problems with trigger hand.

Nanny, The “something” is lead being shaved while trying to move between a cylinder chamber and incorrectly aligned barrel. Doubtful it has ever been properly timed from the factory.
I bought one of those shavers 50+ years ago for $18.95. It left more lead around my hand & feet than went down range.
Sold it ASAP to a college buddy for $15. Apparently he survived, as I saw him walking around 20 years ago.

Forgot to mention, extractor would not push the spent casings out by hand. Had to bang the rod against the table to force them out.

RG Guns

Isn't the joke about RG Guns is that the "RG" stands for Rotten Guns.

All those that I ever saw were too scary to shoot!

These were all chambered in .38 Special. All had their cylinders bored straight through allowing .357 Magnums to be loaded and the cylinder closed!

TW

Nanny, Apparently your chambers are over bored and the cases swelling upon being fired so what you have is an incorrectly machined an improperly timed piece of “ mystery metal”. Your best route would be digging a deep hole in the back yard and burying the RG to see if you can grow any little RG’s.

I had one come into my shop once with the barrel loose and wiggling around in the frame. The customer had dropped it apparently. The barrel was pinned into the frame...not threaded...and with the quality of the metal in the frame....well, I guess I have to agree with Ibmikey, try to grow some little ones.

Back