Rogers & Spencer Question

Rototiller

Inactive
I brought this Euroarms Rogers & Spencer in an estate sale last year. It doesn't always free wheel when in the half-cock position, at least 9 out of 10 times it will lock up as soon as I rotate the cylinder. I have the most luck if I rotate the cylinder while pulling the hammer back. I'm looking for a parts breakdown to see it the gun is assembled correctly or something is just worn out. I had the gun apart once but it was doing this before that. Just seems to be getting worst or I have less patience.

Donald

p.s. I found a illustrated break down on www.winchestersutler.com, everything seems to be in the right spot.

Could be one thing or likely a number of things. It's out of time and the bolt legs need adjusting or replacing. Hard to tell without some photos of the parts.

When in half-cock, it doesn't free wheel. By free wheel, do you mean the cylinder rotation?

By lock up, do you mean that the bolt pops up and locks the cylinder?

With the hammer down, when you cock it slowly, what happens?

Before diagnosing any action prob. , make sure all screws are tight. Loose screws allow worn parts more clearence to fail but function properly when tight. What you describe is a too short bolt arm or a worn cam or combo of both. Since you say 9 of 10 times, a partialy worn cam would allow this depening on the side pressure you put on the hammer while cycling ( try exerting pressure to one side while cycling , then the other). A bent arm would also allow this to happen.

Yes, I mean the cylinder doesn't spin. Actually as I pull the hammer back the bolt (strange name) recesses in the frame, but 9 out of 10 times it pops back up and as soon as I try to rotate the cylinder the bolt goes into one the cut outs in the cylinder. I can't make it work by putting pressure on the hammer.

I have only found the stop bolt to buy, I haven't seen an hammer anywhere.

Donald

...which says the bolt leg is slipping off the cam on the hammer prematurely, which may be because the bolt leg is bent, or the bolt leg is worn, or the hammer cam is worn.

Concur with mykeal.

The parts may not need replacing. They need to be properly fitted. If you can't do it, take it to a gunsmith.

Last night I operated the hammer several dozen times while looking at the stop bolt and cam on the hammer, the arm on the stop bolt was riding up the tapered face of the cam. But with the finger guard, trigger spring and main spring removed if I held pressure on the stop and back side on the trigger when I pulled the hammer in half cock the arm would stay on the cam like it is suppose to do. I loosen up the spring tension on the stop side of the of the trigger spring and it was better when assembled, sometimes worked as suppose too or the stop would creep up enough to engage the timing slots. I could just press the stop down and it would stay down. I previously spread the arms apart but it did not do the trick fully assembled. The stop bolt has been filed on a lot by someone.

I did order a new stop bolt from Dixie Gun Works, I haven't found a trigger spring or hammer yet.. I'm new to this C&B revolvers and have looked at everything I could find on YouTube but no one covers this, maybe a liability issue. Love Duelist1954 videos.

Donald

Wish you hadn't ordered anything. Parts need to be fitted and yours wasn't fitted to begin with. Well, you'll have a spare now. As for the function, if you can learn how a Colt Single Action Army works, your Rogers & Spencer is very much like it.

Rototiller, I had a problem long ago with mine and found that the milling on the inside of the frame was a bit off. I sorta looked like this (-_) ,but not nearly as pronounced. I stoned it so they met properly and the problem went away. Also, it was chewing up the bolt leg that ran up the side. Wjat year was yours made? Mine was 1993 (code initials - BC)

Last edited:
Date code is AD in a square so that's 1978. I straighten out the stop bolt spring some more and now it works as it should.

Oh well I will have a spare stop bolt if needed.

Donald

Back