Rogers and Spencer Revolver

Deerhunter

I have a Rogers and Spencer revolver. It is hard to tell what the second number in the serial number is. The first number is a 2. So it seems to be serial numbered in the 20s. I am thinking it is an 8 but not sure.
It is missing 2 of the nipples in the cylinder. Not sure (I haven't looked yet) how hard they are to find and how much that effects the value. Here are some pictures

Attachments

• R & S.jpg
    R & S.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 120
  • R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 57
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 52
There are a few marks I don't know about. The "W" that is stamped on it. Can anyone provide some good info on this pistol? I have been researching them and found that they never made it into service and were bought for like 25 cents. The government evidently paid around $12.50 each for them. They were later sold after someone bought them all at the 25 cent each price for around $3.50 each.

Attachments

• R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 29
  • R4.jpg
    R4.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 25
  • R5.jpg
    R5.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 27
The last of the pictures. These pistols seem to be crazy with prices being all over the place. Just glad I have it in my collection

Attachments

• R12.jpg
    R12.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 33
  • R13.jpg
    R13.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 22
I would guess 28 as well. With two digits I'm not sure it is really that important. It could only be 21-29. It surely isn't a 1 or a 7. Might could eliminate 4, 5 and possibly 6.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but both B's appear to have been stamped after the bluing was done. There is a shiny outline around both. None of the other stampings have this.

I like the revolver.

John I didn't notice that with the "Bs". I will have to go back and look at the pistol again when I have a chance to check that out.

My guess is that it isn't that important either when you are talking a two digit serial numbers. When we first looked at it my buddy and I were hoping that was a B stamped next to a "2" making it a single digit. I looked around and found pictures and they didn't stamp them that way so it has to be another number. My thoughts are 8 but thought it could be a bad 5 also. We know it isn't a 0, 1 or 7 for sure.

I would like to find original nipples for it to replace the two that are missing. I can find plenty of reproductions ones but not what I want.

Anyone have any idea on the value?

John

Yeah the one I have isn't in that good of condition. Appreciate the link. I had seen that but it made me go back and look at it again. Below the main pistol is related. There are 3 more down there that I looked at. My best guess is they would say the one I have is around $3000-$3500 based on that but I might be a bit high. I am not sure how accurate their numbers are. I also wonder if it being a 2 digit serial number helps it any

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/79/97/civil-war-rogers-spencer-army-model-revolver

Thanks again

Back