Rock River Indicted???? (Not RR; Stag)

tank1949

I don't think this is the perfect forum, but it probably get the most views. A local gun shop owner shocked me yesterday when he stated that he had read about RR owner/mgt pleading to feds about some 3000 missing ARs. They may be going out of business. I Googled about any indictments and could NOT find any.

DPMS is now not selling parts from their web site and requested that I go through Brownell or Midway.

Anyone know if there is any truth to either of these stories???

Yup, it was Stag. They made "extra" lowers in case some were damaged and did not put serial numbers on them, ATF did and inspection and ordered them destoryed which they didnt do. Dont quote me exactly but it was basically a few dumb moves that got them bust, not necessarily making illegal products for ill purposes.

It sounds like another story about our mean old government; until you read the rest of the story. Business is simple, you sign it in and you sign it out. They were working on full autos that had not been signed in and belong to a foreign government. Sounds to me like? You bet, no problem and right away.

F. Guffey

Stag Arms had problems dating back to 2007.

The company pleaded guilty to possession of 62 machine guns and machine gun receivers that were registered to another entity or not registered at all. ATF agents found the automatic rifles and receivers at the New Britain factory during an inspection July 15, 2014.

Eleven machine guns were registered to an entity in the Philippines, one to a police department and 25 to another manufacturer. The remaining 25 machine gun receivers — the portion of the firearm that houses the operating parts and on which the serial number is engraved — did not have serial numbers, the government said.
............................................................................................................

In 2007, ATF inspectors found instances of poor record-keeping, administrative violations and regulatory violations, but worked with Stag to bring it into compliance, said Nealy Earl, area head of industry operations for ATF.

The problems found during the 2014 compliance review at Stag Arms were similar or worse than those found in 2007, prompting the recommendation for criminal action, Earl said. Assistant U.S. Attorney S. Dave Vatti described the new violations as "egregious and systemic."

Some of the firearms found at Stag also had obliterated serial numbers, a serious violation of the law, Vatti said. The government has not determined why the serial numbers were scratched out.

http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85392823/

it's funny how stories differ. Stag had a plant here in Nashville and the story around here was that Stag was selling fully auto AR variants to people who shouldn't legally have them. I don't know if that is true or not but that is the local word on the street.

Before they got in trouble, I went to their plant and it was a pretty cool site. They made some nice guns.

it's funny how stories differ.

I found nothing funny about 11 rifles I recovered from smiths that took rifles in, out of the 11 only one stub was given to the owners. The rifle was not signed in. And then some of the rifles were included in a divorce settlement. The owner of the rifles was lead to believe he was not getting his rifles back.

Then there was that time I agreed to go to New Mexico, Colorado, Huntington Beach, CA. and Washington DC. I was really looking forward to going to DC but after I left Northern New Mew Mexico I was informed I was no longer needed. The businessmen in Northern New Mexico were rude. I went in to recover $140.000 dollars worth of stuff and left with close to $280,000 worth.

F. Guffey

What on earth leads people to believe that Stags are now, or will become, instant collector pieces?
Denis

What on earth leads people to believe that Stags are now, or will become, instant collector pieces?
Denis
One of the only AR's I ever owned (besides the original bushie carbon 15) that refused to group under 2.5 MOA. : )

Why did ordinary 94' Winchesters take a big jump in price when Winchester went out of business? Go to a large firearms auction and watch the fun when a piece of scrap comes up that is not made anymore.

levers are a piece of history--another consumer AR probably not so much--though I guess the 6.8 spc bolt market is going to take a hit.

The Winchester leverguns had, by then, sold over 7 million units in the 94 alone over a very long period of time, were a part of this nations history, legend, and lore, and nobody else was making the 94 at the time the domestic plant was shut down.

Rossi has been turning out 92 copies for decades, if they cease production you seriously think those would become instant collector pieces, simply because they were no longer made?

The Winchester situation in no way equates to the situation with Stag.

Stag puts out a decent AR, but aside from the left-hand models they don't do anything exceptional.
Stag's one of dozens of AR makers.
Stag ARs are selling well, but would not leave any gap whatever in their place in the market IF they didn't come back, and there's little doubt they'll just re-organize.

I'm still getting sales emails from them & they still had a booth at the SHOT Show.

Even if not, the Stag I own would be worth no more the day after the company shut it doors than the day before the company shut its doors.

And none of this is knocking their products, just saying mere non-availability of new Stags does not in itself render old Stags into gold.
Denis

Out of fairness to Rock River Arms,to avoid being the source of any half baked rumors,I suggest an edit to the title of this thread,such as :

Rock River indicted???? (No,it is Stag.Mistaken identity)

You wordsmith it,but it seems only fair to RRA

DPRIS, the fact that there were millions of 94's made should tell you something. You would not believe how many people buy something they don't really want just because it is not made anymore. Have you tried buying a M16A-1 parts kit lately? They are gone. When I had my auction, the old M16/M16A-1 parts (Especially the uppers and triangle handguards) I had were hot items. Most of the time there is no rational reason for why something becomes a hot item other than it is not manufactured anymore.

You're talking about specific items used for specific purposes by a limited-demand market.

There are too many Stags already out there to make any difference in "rarity" value, or demand, for those situations.

"What? Stag doesn't sell ARs anymore? Bummer. Where's the nearest Colt, DPMS, S&W, Fill-In-The-Blank dealer?"

You see Sabres become instant gold after they were shut down?
Merely BECAUSE they were shut down?

There may be a couple ignorant buyers that could be talked into believing that "Out Of Production=Big$", but on the whole & in the grand picture, the Stags are just another AR in a sea of low to mid to higher level ARs.

Mine is the only non-Colt AR I own, and I acquired it because it happened to perfectly (dot on top of front sight) co-witness with the iron sights & electric optic it wears, and it's a good quality rifle.

If I were to lose it for some reason, I would not pay collector prices to replace it with another Stag.
If I replaced it at all, it'd be with another Colt.

I don't see either demand or value increasing merely because Stag goes out of business.
Which I don't expect them to do.
Denis

Back