Robust reddot for 41 mag blackhawk?

stagpanther

My apologies for the pervious thread regarding the ftx--I know it was specific to reloading but posted here in the hopes of another 41 Blackhawk user would comment--sorry admin.:o

Anyway, today while shooting my Blackhawk about a dozen rounds into it my pentax reddot spontaneously converted itself into an IED and blew itself up.

Any recommendations on a TOUGH but affordable reddot?

I can't tell you what is on the market today, but some years ago, I bought a cheap red dot ($35), to use on my .45-70 Contender 14". I figured if it died an early death, I wouldn't be out that much.

SO far, its taken a couple hundred rounds without issue. Says BSA on it, I'm sure its made somewhere in Asia...

Pentax is a big name, does their warranty cover .41 Blackhawks?? ;)

Years ago I bought two of these Pentaxes and two Bushnell TRS25's they all failed after 100 to 200 firings through various weapons--some not all that powerful. I've had a theory that 99% of the reddots under $200 on the market are all made in the same factory in China.:D:rolleyes:

I have tried many different red dot sights, and the ONLY one I can recommend is the Ultra Dot 30, shown here on my 629 Classic. They will stand up to the recoil.

Nn0TXkc.jpg

For some reason the very thought of a red dot on a single action revolver makes me cringe. Rifle, single-shot pistol, auto pistol or double action revolver no problem but SA?

Likely too many cowboy shows growing up...

I have several UltraDots on Hunting Handguns. They are the best that I know of. I have upgraded to the 30mm MatchDot on my last couple purchases.

Bob

I've got two of the Bushnell TRS-25..........great little red dot's. Had them for a few years now, never an issue.

But, on my Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum, I put on a Burris Fastfire 3. Several hundred rounds down range. No issues.

7H9vu3ab.jpg

I have upgraded to the 30mm MatchDot on my last couple purchases.
That is the model I ordered.

I've got two of the Bushnell TRS-25..........great little red dot's. Had them for a few years now, never an issue.
Like the Pentax--the ones I bought "blew their tops off" where the battery fits and the actual dot electronics are; there is a c ring on the bushnel's that failed on mine. The Pentax also blew a part into the internal body of the optic. I do have one remaining TRS25 that tolerates being atop an AR.

I'm looking to add a dot to my S&W 460 mag and obviously i'm concerned about the violent recoil destroying a dot. I have both the Vortex Venom and the Burris FF3. Sent email inquireries to both asking if shooting my 460 with these dots would be safe and both replied "yes". The best bet for me is my Vortex Venom as it has a lifetime warranty so while I have not yet experimented with a dot it's on my "to do" list !

I've had a MatchDot mounted on the slide of my Gold Cup 1911 for over a decade. It's not exactly the same sort of recoil impulse that you get from a big revolver, but it certainly does take a beating up there. No problems whatsoever with it, or with any of the other half dozen MatchDots I have on various other handguns.

Back