ROA Grips needed

mykeal

I have recently become the owner of 3 Ruger Old Army revolvers (blued), which, strangely enough, do not have grips. I intend to equip at least one with American Holly, and the other two are open to whatever comes along that I find attractive - probably walnut, but a nice birdseye maple or even cherry might work.

Holly is hard to find and expensive, so I'm willing to take on the task of finding the blanks if someone could provide the minimum dimensions required.

I need a grip maker, however. Any suggestions?

robhof

ROA grips are interchangeable with the newer model Blackhawks, and Ebay usually has a large selection of grips for the Blackhawk. Some grips may require minimal fitting, but I have 2 Blackhawks, a Single Six and 2 ROA's and all the grips interchange.

There are both several good gripmakers, plus new and/or used XR-3 sized grips F/S, over on www.rugerforum.com

I posted the request on that forum a few days ago, and got only one response, that about using ivorywood. No responses about grip makers. There is at least one very good grip maker on that forum (he made an excellent set for my Single Six a few years ago), but no response from him. I wrote him an email and left a message on his voice mail, no response from those either.

Thanks, looking into those...

Doc - thanks.

Nice to see your return, I have learned a lot over the years from your knowledge.

I have taken a liking to Hogue rubber grips on my ROAs, but you did not ask about rubber. Not sure what Hogue, makes in wood or if they do.

If you want the best, do a search for "Rink Pistol Grips, get out your Gold card and hang on.

Last edited:
Thanks, Hawg - Altamont does indeed do a very nice job.

What I need is a custom grip maker - somebody to make a set of ROA grips out of wood I supply, in the case of the Holly grips I want.

Gun Grip Supply makes some bonded ivory grips that are close, and they can supply the Ruger medallions for an extra $10. I'll probably get one set of those and continue looking for someone to make the Holly grips.

I actually have a set of the Hogue rubber grips for my Single Six; ugliest grips I've ever owned but nice to shoot with. I haven't tried them on an ROA - don't have the heart for it.

robhof

I prefer the Taylor style extended grips, they give me a little more grip to the gun.

Attachments

• DSCN0452.JPG
    DSCN0452.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 33
mykeal said:
I posted the request on that forum a few days ago, and got only one response.....

Gonna blow some smoke (pun intended): I personally learned more on this site about BP than just about any other. BTW, screw holes on my ROA grips are wallowed out, might go the BH route.

Mykeal, +1 to Docs post. Good to see you back.

I just recently ran into the guy that made my Navy's Holly grips 10 years ago - he had moved to Tenn & didn't leave a forwarding address; but is back in MO now. He's got a blank of holly that will make five or six sets of grips. He will be picking up another pair of my Navies and a derringer this Saturday to put Holly on.

Contacted. We got a deal to put holly on one of the ROA's, looking at the other woods for the other two.

Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Back