RL1050 sudden troubles with 9mm

IMtheNRA

My RL1050 suddenly developed two issues just before Dillon closed for the weekend. The press is currently set up for 9mm.

Background: no equipment or die changes or upgrades since the last reloading session. I disassembled and cleaned everything thoroughly, including the priming system and primer punch "lifter". The problems developed when I set up the press to load 9mm. *The problems are apparent only when the toolhead is installed. Without it, the press functions smoothly.*

Problem 1: The primer punch system seems to get momentarily stuck on the way down after seating the primer. I can hear a sudden snap as the primer punch returns to the down position I believe it is somehow getting hung up inside it's hole on the primer shuttle because when I remove the primer shuttle, the snap is gone. I'm loading 9mm.

Problem 2: This one started right after disassembly and thorough cleaning. When a case is resized on station 1 or expanded on station 2, and the toolhead is on the way up, then just before the case exits the die, I hear a "groaning sound", like a stuck case in a sizing die. This happens regardless of which sizing die I use, and I tested 2 previously well performing 9mm sizing dies. To make sure the case is not getting stuck in a die, I lubricated it inside and out, but the sound remained, so I don't think it's the sound of the brass getting stuck in the dies. I'm loading 9mm.

Any ideas where to look for problems?

Last edited:
You didn't forget to put the #13858 primer punch spring back, did you? You might try a dry lube spray on all those parts and in the primer shuttle hole. I would also call Dillon, as they are much more likely to know all the sounds the machine can produce.

Back