rings won't tighten to base?

old fart

i have a savage mark 2, it uses the two piece weaver bases. i bought a set of quad lock rings for it, but with the rings tight i can move them front to back on the bases. what can be the problem?, thanks for any help.

found my problem, the bases on the gun was #24 weaver. the savage takes #16 weaver, now i don't know what kind of rings fit the #24 but when i went and got #16 bases my ring tighten down good. they look just alike but there is a difference. thanks

That's weird, but without actually seeing it, I guess anything is possible. Glad to hear you've sorted it.

Cheers,
C

Maybe you got bad bases or something. A #24 Weaver base works fine on Savage Rimfire rifles in fact as far as diameter of the receiver and the diameter of the base a #24 is one of the closest fitting bases.The difference in the two is the height #16=.205 #24=.271

Unless the rings were defective, there's no difference in the area that mates with the rings. The different numbers indicate what actions they fit.

Did they come on the rifle? I've heard of Savage shipping the rifles with undersized bases and rings, although I've never personally seen it.

Back