Rimfire rifles

Hueco

What are the best for 50 - 75 yard varminting and target shooting? I have taken a look at Sako and Kimber online, but are there any others that I should consider? I would like to spend less than what the Sako and Kimbers cost, but I want a superb rifle so I will pay what is needed. As far as caliber goes, preferably .22 LR, but I will go with WMR too. And also, what scope? I would guess a Leupold...so what power -- 3-9, 4-10, or even more powerful? Thanks guys!

Hueco

You should check out a custom-built 10/22. The good ones are capable of 3/8-1/2" at 50yds.

I don't know how much the Sako's and Kimber's cost, but I have a Volquartsen Custom 10/22 on order. It's a deluxe model with a two-tone fluted and comped heavy barrel (I think a compinsator on a .22 is pretty dumb, but that's just how it comes) stainless with black flutes, Hogue overmolded stock instead of the McMillan fiberglass stock (to save about $200). I'm paying $725 plus FFL fee for it. I'm planning on putting a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 scope (in stainless finish) on it.

I don't know how the price compares to the Kimber or the Sako, but you should check out the Volquartsen website at: www.volquartsen.com

When I ordered the rifle they said I should have it in 3-4 weeks. I ordered it before New Years, so I should have it very soon. If you'd like, I'll give you a range report after I shoot it.

I never could understand why someone always tries to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse...ie, the 10/22. Spending money on a 10/22 like that may eventually help it shoot better but you still have a 10/22. If you try and sell it you will never get what you put in to it. Before anyone flames, hey, I have one. Its fine for tin cans and such. But, for a premium .22:

Try an Anschutz.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited January 17, 2000).]

50-75 yards?? Marlin makes a nice bolt gun 22 mag in stainless with a bull barrel, they shoot nice too. Hell at that range ANY marlin would do.

What about a "full sized" ruger m77/22? You can get the adjustable trigger and all the other bells and whistles for far less than a sako or kimber.. I guess it really depends on how much money you want to spend.

If you pay a premium price I'd expect premium features, like pinpoint accuracy, hand checkering, tuned trigger etc.

OR you can go the 10/22 route and CUSTOMIZE your stock rifle to taste. (kinda like the 1911 of rifles)

FWIW: Two guys I know (who are pretty good shots) bought identical hvy bbl 10/22's. (plus 18 power fine cross hair varminting scopes) One guy can shoot them, the other can't. In this case its NOT the gun.. something about one of the shooter's styles that makes the 10/22 unfriendly to him. Guy #2 put his 10/22 up for sale and bought the above mentioned marlin 22 magnum.

If your "varmints" are anything bigger than a fox I'd move up to 223, so you have the OPTION of longer range, etc. CZ makes a dandy little .223 bolt rifle thats also available in 22 hornet.

Dr.Rob

It cost me a bit over $300, including the rifle, to customize a 10/22 that will put three shots in a single hole at 50 yards.
I did the work myself with a stock and barrel combo from Midway ($109 on sale, unfinished) and a Clark drop in trigger replacement ($55 from Brownell's) . That's a *lot* less than the $1500 or so an Anshutz would cost. I'm shooting smallbore silhouette with this rifle and put a Leupold Vari-X III EFR 6.5-20x40 on it. Yep, the scope cost much more than the entire rifle did. If you were on a budget, Weaver makes the V-24 6-24x42 that can be had for $258 at http://www.swfa.com . S.W.F.A also has the V-16 4-16x42 for $219. These are great scopes for the money.

If the budget isn't an issue, though, an Anshutz, Sako or Kimber will be much more esthetically pleasing if that's what floats your boat. The Anshutz will be more a specialized target rifle while the Sako and Kimber can be both a target and hunting rifle.

The Remington 541-T is a good shooting and good looking rig as well. I don't much care for the plastic magazine but that's about it.
I won't admit as to what I have tied up in one of my Ruger 10/22s! :rolleyes: But on a calm day it works very well out to two hundred yards. I know that I could never get my investment out of it but I don't sell em anyway.
Enjoy the rimfires!
Hank

Okay, this may sound like I'm a cheapskate, and you'd be right. But, they do shoot, espescially well enough for an animal sized target at the yardages that you mentioned. Anyhow, I use a Marlin Model 60 semiauto, topped with a Bushnell Sportview 3x9. The whole rig set me back about 200, if you count the monopod. anyhow, from a rest, I get 3/4" groups at 75 yards. As in can doubletap a chipmunk, if he's holding still.

~~~Mineralman

Anschutz has their Model 1416 for $625 or 1416D for $695. Their 1700 series sporter rifles with the 54 action range between $1000 and $1300. The smallbore metallic silhouette repeater is around $700. Of course, you can buy their Olympic competition models and spend a few grand.

Where is a good place to buy a base model 10/22 to customize, and what is a good price for one? Since I'm planning on getting a new barrel, stock, and drop in trigger, should I just buy one used?

Tango

I got a Ruger 10/22T in stainless for Christmas($299.) Then put a Simmons 22Mag. 3x9x32AO scope($99.) Don't know the size groups yet but it does shoot well. Will add an extended mag release later.

Right now I shoot a Marlin 882SS with a BSA 8-32x44 scope. I love it like the dickens! But really, I want an extremely accurate .22 LR for close-range work. Nice thing about getting a LR would be the reduced noise. I could varmint for some friends, and not disturb them or scare the pets and whatnot. The next step after geting a LR would be a 220 Swift or 22-250 to nab those long shots. But I really want to be a steady shot so I can go into longer-range shooting solidly -- I think the rimfire is perfect for honing my shooting.

Hueco

I got to thinking, and now I am thinking that it will be ok to use my .22 magnum for the shorter shots. Is it effective at short distances? I would think it would be, but I never know. But if it is...I am going to skip a .22 LR and jump to a centerfire varminter.

Hueco

Your .22 mag should be fine for close range if the noise issue is resolved and if you find the accuracy acceptable. We don't really know the size of your varmints, but the WMR should work in that 50 yard range for everything up to coyotes. I have not tried coyotes with one, but others here will probably tell you it'll work with accurate shot placement. (Recall an old Whole Earth Catalog story of one gent who poached deer with his WMR; head shots at twilight, low report...which I am NOT advocating.) When you get to .22 centerfires, definitely check out the .22-250. My first cf was one, a Rem 700 BDL from 1970. It still shoots sub-moa with factory ammo, no modifications. And yes to the Leupold glass. Good luck.

Back