Rimfire Pistol Sighting Systems?

ZipTieNinja

I am getting a Ruger Mk II Competition Model, and I am wondering what sighting system to put on it....

I have heard that traditional scopes are harder to shoot than a red dot scope. Is this true?

How much power is overkill? I was thinking a 4x would be right.

And what about the Optima system? I have heard bery little about them other than to not buy the older ones due to an odd sight in system...

Thanks for the help. :cool:

I can give you my opinion. I own a Ruger Mk. II with a red dot, I think it is a Tasco Pro-Point. I own a S&W 686 with a 4x Leupold scope on it. I have shot and owned a couple other handguns with scopes.
The optical sights that I have used seem like the dot is very large. For me, it makes accurate plinking difficult because a small target will be covered completely by the dot. Shooting at bullseyes on paper isn't a problem because you can center the dot in the scoring rings. I realize that there are different size dots out there, so you may be able to improve upon what I have. I also realize that a larger dot is easier to pick up and allows faster shooting which is fine on a race gun where I am only trying to quickly place my shots in the A zone of a silhouette. However on a .22, the dot is too large for me. If for example, I want to shoot a golf ball sitting 25 yards away, I don't want the dot to appear to be the size of a basketball at that distance so that the golf ball is lost somewhere under that red dot that is 10 times the size of my intended target.
I would prefer a standard scope. That being said, my opinion is that 4x is too much magnification for me. As you know, magnification, magnifies every little movement of the gun. Most of us are not rock steady when shooting a handgun, and the scope only makes this problem worse. At 4x the gun seems to be waving like a conductors baton. I have extreme difficulty trying to shoot off hand with a 4x scope. I even have some trouble using it off the bench. I am sure that a lot of practice will make a difference, but if I were doing it again, I would go with a 2x.

Here is a website that has some good information on sights.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

I have a Pro Point red dot on my 22/45 and it can be difficult to hold still in offhand shooting. Part of that in my case is that I have an 8" bull barrel, quite a bit of steel hanging out there to wobble around. If I were to do it over, I'd use the red dot on the 5.5" bull barrel, keep the 8" as an iron sights only gun. But, I still enjoy using the set-up I have, though so far I've only used it at the range on paper. Soon I'll be taking it outdoors to see how it works as a plinker with the scope, but I would agree that a small target like a golf ball could pose a problem. We'll see.;)

Back