Rim thickness guage.

DOCSpanky

I am not looking for oinions on whether they work, THEY DO FOR ME! My 25MN loves properly culled ammo (rim thickness and weight). Really tightens the groups. I am looking for a slightly less expensive one than the Bald Eagle guage which retails for $85-90 bucks! I was being allowed to use one, until I began outshooting the guy. He now insists I must get my own. Consequently without culling he is outshooting me again. "THIS IS INTOLERABLE!" Any help on a cheaper guage would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Any 1/2-decent machinist should be able to make one up for you really cheap. Get a 1" travel indicator from Enco Tool Company for $15 to $85, depending on the brand.

Take a piece of 5/8" diameter steel, machine it round and square the ends. Add a hole through the bore for the travel rod, and a counterbore with a slot cut into it to secure the gage on one end. Add a threaded hole in the middle of this slot so that a bolt can be used to tighten it so that holds the gage securely.

Then mill a 1/4" slot crosswise to the other end of the tool, up about 5/8" centered, with a depth deep enough to drop the 22LR rim-portion into (this will be the gaging lip), plus mill another slot at the end in which the body of the casing will sit - that meets the cross/lip slot.

Calibrate your tool by setting a known piece of shim stock across the gage lip and adjust your gage to read the thickness of the shim.

It's almost easier to make one than describe it! Good luck! :D

[This message has been edited by Lefty (edited May 02, 2000).]

Ok, Doc no comments on the usefullness of the gauge, I promise.

On another BB, one BR shooter said he made about as simple a gauge as possible that worked just as well as the expensive ones. He uses an unsized .22 cal centerfire cartridge, such as a .223, and his micrometer. The .22 RF slips in the mouth and you measure from rim to rim. Since you are looking for variations and don't really care about the OAL of the .22 RF, this works well. I've tried it and it does work as he described it.

What cartridge has the required .224 diameter of the 22WMR? This is the most intelligent thing I have yet to hear! :D

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

I had .22 LR on my mind. For the WMR, I think an unsized .270 or a sized .280 Rem might do it. The .270 is around .283 ID. I don't have a .280 to measure.

Back