Rim casing to thick

4thHorseman

I was firing Remington's Golden Sabre 357 today at the range with the Colt revolver and when the sixth cylinder started to rotate up into the firing position, it jammed. Further investigation revealed the rim on the case was manufactured to thick and it hung up on the frame. This is the gun and the load I carry. So from now on, I spin the cylinder with the bullits in it before I carry it. I ensure that all the bullits rotate through will no problem.

Ouch! I had the same thing happen to me with the plastic bubble pack American ammunition (not to be confused with the red box American Eagle). To hear that about a quality product like Remington GS's is a bit discomforting.

That seems strange somehow, 4thH.

Seemingly, the 6th round would already had to have rotated through the frame/cylinder at the bottom of the assembly, which should be of a very similar dimension.

Did you actually measure the rim thinkness with calipers, or ... ?

Not disbelieving you, just seems an oddity that it could rotate through the frame once, but not again.

labgrade, the bullet would rotate through the bottom of the frame but not the top. At first I thought it must have been the primer that was jarred loose from the other shots. I took a straight edge and laid it across the primer and case rim and they were both level. I don't have a micrometer, but my best guess it was the case rim. I don't have any idea what else it could be. You know now that I think about it more, I wonder if it could be plug (lack of a better word) that firing pin goes through. I'll have to check and see if it extends out further from the frame. Again didn't have trouble with the other bullits.

Back