Right Ammo To Use

mfms69

Inactive
on the receiver My Italian Carcano Carbine hs 7.9 stamped on the receiver,and 8mm Italy stamped on the end of the barrel. 8 mm Mauser is to big.What type ammo do I use? Thanks Rick

Welcome to tfl!

Do it yourself or take it to a smith, but get a chamber cast done of your rifle.

The only 8mm round I know of associated with the Carcano is the German 8mm Mauser.

After Italy surrendered in 43, the Germans holding out in Italy had a number of carcanos converted to 8mm Mauser. Probably so they could arm "loyal" Italian auxiliaries with a rifle they could supply ammo for. The Germans didn't use the converted Carcanos, they had their own Kar 98ks.

Reportedly the converted rifles weren't great and "kicked like mules".

IF your rifle says 8mm on it, and 8mm Mauser doesn't fit, there's no telling what it actually is, until you get a chamber cast done and correctly measured.

Almost anything is possible, from a rifle chambered for a different round to one that was not correctly or fully chambered, its even possible the rifle was marked but never rechambered for 8mm. a chamber cast will remove (or at least reduce) the guess work, ;)

Do a chamber cast. Some were rebarreled to 7.92X57 (8mm Mauser), but the ones you generally find are actually 7.35 Ternis.

6.5mm Carcano and 7.35mm Terni are the regular calibers. Some were converted to 8mm Mauser. OP's gun has markings suggesting its 8mm. He says 8mm Mauser doesn't fit.

We don't know what it is. Chamber cast and slugging the bore will tell us what it is. It might turn out to be none of the choices we expect.

Unless you've had a chance to peek at the chamber under good lighting, there is also a small chance that a case is still in the chamber with the web and rim separated. I've only seen that once.

Back