Riggers belt

inFAM1S

Inactive
I am trying to figure out why to get a riggers belt. I am building up my kit and this is something I am having trouble figuring out. Should i have a riggers belt on a kit to accommodate emergency rigging? Or just tie a loop in a rope to work and not have a riggers belt?

Is a riggers belt necessary or not?

What is it you are building a "kit" for? A riggers belt is great for not falling out of things like a helicopter, tree or place where you do not want to meet the ground suddenly. Its a fast way to clip in for safety or even do light limited rappelling in an emergency. Also makes a sturdy gun belt.

However, if you intend to do any rappelling or actually falling, this is NOT the way to go unless in an absolute emergency. The belt will snap your back if you fall from a height or you can fall out of your pants if inverted. Learn to tie a Swiss Seat or better yet buy a rappelling harness. Hard to tell your purpose from your post so this is pretty general. See Army Rappelling Manual TC 21-24

Building up what kind of kit? What kind of emergency would you think requires any kind of rigging? You have any kind of rigging experience or training?
"I want one." is reason enough to buy anything. Kind of pricey for a nylon belt though.

Sorry for it being so vague. Its a SHTF personal kit. Armor, sidearm, primary weapon and so on.

The idea being prepared for anything. Emergency rappelling, strapping in and things like that are among some of the top needs for my "kit."

Based upon you description I don't think you "need" it but there are few things we actually "need". However, if you want it get it, it has function. If nothing else you have a good sturdy belt to hold up your pants. :D Would also look into some good carabiners and gloves. I used to wear a riggers belt and kept a 6' continuous climbing loop (don't remember technical name) and a couple of good quality climbing grade "biners" in my kit for fast access. Also kept webbing which I could tie into a Swiss Seat for actual rappelling.

War Story:D--I was once evacuating one of my team members who fell from cliff. Chopper had one skid on RR track in hover and me halfway in the door behind the backboard. Train came around the blind bend we were on and pilot abruptly pulled up.....out I went! Fortunately I knew I was going to ride on edge of door and snapped in seconds earlier with my rigger belt, loop and carabiners. Although I fell out the chopper, the short loop caught me and allowed me to get back in as we avoided a train vs heli confrontation. Only damage was to my underwear:eek:

They make a great gun belt, and for that matter, a great everyday belt, assuming your daily attire allows. Very comfortable, and infineitly adjustable through its size range. No more trying to hit a hole.

Up until about 5 years ago, I wore one pretty much daily, since they first came out. I switched to the Wilderness's "Frequent Flyer" belt. Same great belt, and adjustment, just a less noticeable, and non metallic buckle.

The downside to the instructor belts is, anyone who knows what they are, probably figures youre wearing a gun.

While teaching at Front Sight all the instructors used riggers belts in uniform. When the rope and rappel course went in a few of us tried the belts out with ropes

A cpl things became apparent, first they are UNCOMFORTABLE as all heck to hang from. Second, the only ones id trust are the ones where the attachment point is part of the actual buckle. As you load the attachment point the buckle locks even tighter onto the belt.

The belts that had an attachment point as a separate piece could allow the buckle to slip as your weight was fully on the belt.. ESPECIALLY if you bumped into the buckle.

I was looking at one of the belts from 215 gear. Similarly 5.11, BLACKHAWK!, and several others make ones like them as well.

I wear a 5.11 1.5" TDU belt for my daily and its great at holding a gun, but the buckle protrudes a more than i really like and since i have a bit of a gut (working on it), it digs into my belly when i sit. Not very comfy.

I need to find some good balance. This will ideally hold my gun, as well as IFAK and mags at minimum, but not my pants. It will be like a gear belt only.

That being the case, would it be more suitable to have a riggers belt for my pants only and then a clip style belt like this one from condor or this cobra buckle for my "utility" belt as part of my kit?

Back