Rifling

Newt

Inactive
I am looking for information on 22-250 rifling? I own a remington model 700. I would like to shoot a 60g boatail out it but I cannot find the sufficient information on the rifling.

Do you mean rifling as in the twist of barrel rifling or are you referring to reloading ammunition for this caliber or are you looking for information on the rifle?

Sorry but I don't understand what you're looking for by the way you've phrased your question.

I guess you're referring to rifling twist, in terms of "one turn in ??? inches".

You can measure this yourself. Take a cleaning rod with patch; run it down the barrel, some 18" or so.

Make a reference mark so you can measure how many inches you pull it out from "zero".

Make another reference mark (a thin scratch, longways on the rod) so you can tell when the rod has rotated one turn as you pull it out.

I'm assume your cleaning rod has a handle which rotates freely on the rod, allowing the rod/patch to follow the rifling. Pull the rod out slowly, watching the reference-scratch, and when one full turn has occurred, measure how far you pulled out the rod.

Do it again. Maybe a third time to check your "Mark 1 Eyeball". :-) And then you will know your rifling's rate of twist, in terms of one turn in ___ inches. I imagine you'll find a whole-number of inches--no 9-1/2" or 11-3/4"...

Best luck, Art

Back