Riflescope for old eyes

I've been reading info concerning exit diameter of variable power riflescopes ...
My intention is to use scope for target shooting out to 300 yards w/ .308.
I was looking at 4-12x44 scope which would result in exit diameter of 3.66.
According to what I've read, someone my age , that is over 60, my
pupil will only dilate to 5mm max in low light conditions. I understand that best resolution is achieved with ratio of 8. ( that would yield ~5.5 power).
Am I wasting my time thinking that my old eyes would be able to utilize scope of that magnification?

Its going to depend on the ambient light.
As you get older the pupil does dilate less, but as long as there's enough light there it can still contract, so most of the time its a good bit under the 5mm maximum.

For shooting during daylight hours, a good 4-12x44 will work for you at 4x, 12x, or anywhere in between.

I was blessed with the eyesight of a mole at an early age, now same age as you, maybe a bit older. I have no problems using scopes of any diameter.

Go and find one at the range one day and ask to try it out, should answer your question right there.

"Target shooting" out to 300 yards.....

If you will be shooting for groups at that distance, as opposed to shooting steel targets or something like that, then 12X may not be enough. The problem is that, with a reticle using cross hairs of typical thickness, the cross hairs will cover the target, making it difficult to shoot precisely.

My suggestion, if you do intend to shoot tight groups out to 300 yards, is to choose a scope with higher magnification. For example, I use a 6 - 20X variable scope with fine cross hairs, (usually set on 20X), for 300 yards. That scope allows me to shoot precise groups, as well as steel targets with 2.5" diameter holes (with steel flippers behind the holes).

If I happen to be shooting 8" or 10" diameter steel plates at 300 yards though, for example, I often use 6X with that rifle. But, I do not expect any more precision than that, from such low magnification.

You need to be looking at better quality glass. The exit pupil rating is one factor to consider, but it only matters during the last 5 minutes of daylight and the 1st 5 minutes of each day. You aren't likely to be shooting targets at that time of day. Is a factor for hunters.

A quality lense will make more difference than objective size anyway.

riflescope for old eyes

Thanks all for input...... I'd like to be able to hit 6" target @300 yards consistantly. I went to range yesterday with spotting scope with 60mm objective lens and 15-60 pwr. I think I need at least 20x to sight in at 300 yard 6" target. I am looking at Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO, eye relief 4", with 40 MOA windage and elevation adj. Will this glass meet my requirements? I will only be shooting in broad daylight. Please offer insights.

The Vortex you mentioned will certainly do the job. I have a liking for Vortex scopes, as it happens. I've had several....and not the "expensive" models, but the cheaper Diamondback models....and they have been terrific. So I doubt that you'll regret (getting the) Crossfire model.

OK. 6" plates at 300 yards. Now that I know exactly what you want to do, I can get down to cases, so to speak. Everyone's eyes are different. I am 54, with myopia since I was 11, the usual presbyopia now and a touch of night blindness. My vision is still correctable to 20/20 with glasses - but my eyes are NOT what they used to be. So make of that what you will, in comparison to your eyesight. I can shoot 6" steel at 300 yards with as little as 5-6 X, with solid consistency. I certainly can do it with 12X, easily.

So, not to reverse myself, but.....if you do NOT need to shoot the tightest groups possible, but only need to hit 6" steel plates at 300, you might be able to get by on your original premise, namely a 4-12X scope. Or, you might not. I certainly would say that, you WON'T go wrong with a variable packing MORE magnification that you might really need. You can always set the magnification for less than 24X, if you don't need it.

Remember that, the lower the magnification, the less the scope will magnify the "shakes". So, depending on the solidness of the rest you will use for your rifle, if you can get by on less than 24X, you might want to use less. I ALWAYS shoot better on something like steel, with the lowest magnification I can comfortably use. In fact, I have an old Mauser with a 2X LER pistol scope on it. I can comfortably ring an 8" steel plate at 200 yards every time with that setup. Not, however, out at 300 though. 200 is about it for that.

The choice is, of course, yours. Your eyes are not my eyes, and vice versa. I do not think that you could go wrong with the 6-24X Vortex you mentioned, though. I think that would be a good all-round choice.

You should be able to hit a 6" target at 300 yards with a fixed 4X scope. Many people try to compensate for a lower quality scope by adding more X's instead of more quality.

A friend of mine has vision issues and kept buying cheap glass with a lot of X's to try to compensate. He finally listened to me after trying one of my rifles and bought one of these.

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conq...e-hunting-turrets-matte-black-5214609920.aspx

The image is so much clearer it makes up for magnification.

C/B, Im almost 70 not the greatest eyesight, shoot with progressive lenses. I bench rest shoot at 200 yards groups average .5 using a Bushnell elite 6x24x40 l keep it set on 24 power. Now if I were going for another scope I would go for a fixed power Weaver in 24 or 36 Hope I helped in some way.

Cameralandny sells a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for $300. It should be a better scope than the crossfire.

SSA: Looked into the Vortex Viper 6.5x20 -44 PA... looks like a great selection and price was right. Webpage stated taking orders for April delivery, but when I called to order was told more like mid May. Only concern with scope is 3.1" eye relief. It's also Cameraland exclusive (older model) but for that price is great scope.

Any love for Mueller 8-32x44 ? I've read some favorable reviews, but I am concerned about crispness of glass. I don't have a vender around here to view same.

Back