Rifles placement in safe

charleslee

A friend has a large safe but the way he has his rifles placed inside isn’t the best. He has them in a U shape wasting a lot of inner space. Shelves removed. He’s looking at circular racks to place in the center but do you fellas have any recommendations? Thank you & happy Labor Day!

I took the racks out. I still have a shelf near the top for handguns, but the long guns are simply placed in the safe where ever. I found I could fit more guns in that way. It also helps to open the actions on bolt guns so they take up less space. And while I've not tried it some guys place 1/2 of the long guns in the safe muzzle down in order to get more in there.

He doesn’t want to go the sock route because he wants to see his guns so he may just go w/ the lazy Susan type device if it w/ fit??? Thank you.

Wasted space and time.

I have learned the hard way that when they state that a safe has a defined storage count, it likely does not. I also replaced the "U" shaped racks and gained a lot more space then stated. Whatever you do will give you some new "challenges". I too kept the top shelf and made a ladder shaped frame out of 2"x 1" varnished red-oak. Basically the outside frame hugs the back and side wall. Then I have two additional, spaced pieces, running from side to side. I reused the red velvet fabric and strips on the front of the rungs. I then installed "Pegs/spools" spacers, to separate each long gun barrel. I bought the "plastic" spools with snap caps from Home Depot. .....;)

Yes, there was a time when I had to remove a few long-guns from the front row to reach the back but it wasn't a big problem. .... :)

He doesn’t want to go the sock route because he wants to see his guns so he may just go w/ the lazy Susan type device if it w/ fit???
If you are referring to the standard woven Gun-socks, I don't use them inside the safe. However, I do use long knew-high "nylon" socks mainly to protect the stocks. I can still see most of what I need to see. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!!

Safe capacity is based on a single barrel gun without scope or pistol grip. If you have a bolt gun with a scope, it will take up 2 slots; if you have an AR with a scope, it will up 3 slots. My top shelf is such that I cannot fit all of my shotguns in the safe as they are too long so I am limited to the first row for them. I use the silicone socks to prevent rust and safe dings
I looked at a carousel but by the time I found one that would fit, it offered LESS capacity, not more.

I tried these https://www.libertysafe.com/products/rifle-rods
and can get close to the "30" rifles the safe maker says.
Yes, you still have to remove the ones close to the front to get to the ones in the back of the safe.

The primary support for the rifle being a round rod in the barrel you can have rifles arranged so that scopes and such can be offset around other rifles fairly easy. You do need one shelf above them to have the "loop" portion of fabric so the "hook" on the barrel support can latch on to it.

Back