Rifles in .223

Prof

I hope this is not too elementary a question, but I was wondering if there are any other kinds of rifles besides the AR-15 (and variants) and the various manufacturers' bolt-actions which chamber the .223?

Hello. Yes, other rifles besides the ARs are made in .223. Mine is a bolt-action CZ-527. Remington offers a Model 7 as well as 700 in it and I'm sure Winchester and Ruger offer boltguns in it as well. Thompson-Center did offer it in their pistols and rifles, I believe. Makes a dandy varmint round and can be extremely accurate. Best.

Ruger,Browning,and New England firearms all offer single shot rifles in .223. There are no lever actions or pumps that I'm aware of.

Prof - No such thing as too elementary a question.
smile.gif

Savage Arms also offers several bolt action models chambered in .223

DPMS offers an AR-15 style rifle that uses a pump action. Not cheap, but not an "assault rifle" (per federal or state defintions) either.

Cliff

Prof - Ruger makes an autoloading rifle based on the M14 action called the mini 14.
Thompson Contender makes a couple of single shot break open rifles in .223. Both also accept accessory barrels in other calibers. One rifle is called the Contender Carbine and the other is called the Encore.

Ruger's Mini-14 is based on the .30 Carbine, NOT the M14. The M14 is a real rifle shooting a real rifle round (7.62/.308) and a match built one will shoot .250" @ 100yds. If you replace everything except the Serial Number on the Ruger, it'll shoot almost as well as a box stock AR15.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

There are a lot of guns from around the world chambered in .223 that are not importable any more due to restrictions.

I've seen the following here in the states that where imported before being banned:

Belgium-FNC
France-FA MAS
Israel-Galil
Finland-Valmet
Brazil-a version of the Fal in .223
Germany-HK
Austria-Steyr Aug
Switzerland-Sig 551
Italy-Beretta AR-70

These can be pretty darn costly now, though some are very fine guns.

I'm more into black ugly guns than traditional sporters, but availible now here in the states in .223 besides the different AR makers:

Bushmaster Bullpup
Robinson M-96 Expeditionary Rifle
Vepr in .223
Various AK style guns in .223

Pictures are availible at the firearms picture link at the top of the page if you are interested.

Back