Rifles for deer camp.

cedarsavage

Firearm season for deer opens on the 15th. I'll be in camp in the Upper of Michigan with an M1 for the pipelines and marshes and a Remington Model 8 in .35 caliber for jumping 'em in the swamps and Xmas trees.
Hope you are all as fortunate to spend time in camp without electricity or running water and having stinky dogs who jump on you in the bunk and pin you down so your sleeping bag turns into an oven. Any everybody is eating chili and pickled eggs and sauerkraut and black licorice and when they fart they lift a leg and do a stumbling pirouette while shouting "Oops, it was an accident"!
Ain't life grand?

taa, cs :D

First - "Carbine"? Surely you jest. Carbines were for officers and such, enlisted swine had M1's. Instructors were the only ones to call them "M1 garands and M1 carbines". Even though handy and good truck rifles, the carbine just doesn't have the ouumph for deer hunting, coyotes are about the limit for it. ( Well, that's what everybody I know thinks about it.)
Now, the braggin' begins - My M1 was built by the Springfield people in October of 1942 (Same year as my Colt 1911A1). It went back for re-arsenal sometime later and everything was replaced with new. Including the woodwork! It then sat unfired until I got my paws on it two years ago.
I'm kinda careful with it and it still doesn't have any dents or dings. Still has a couple small blobs from the "tru-oil dip" they used to treat the wood with! They are getting polished off though, constant wiping off the slobber and drool my hunting buds deposit as they ask what I will take for "this old junker that they will take off my hands so I can get a 'modern' deer rifle".

taa,
cs :D

Whew - good - for some reason I thought carbine, but a Garand seems much better, though a tad heavy. That Garand sounds like a real beaut - I *need* one of those badly. This Friday boys, heading out - rifle season starts Sat in this state - I can bowhunt Friday evening. I took my .45-70 Marlin to the range over the weekend to verify sight-in, and good thing I did - you would not believe - my $600 trijicon scope has crapped out - won't tune at all. It had been sighted for 80 yards, and it wasn't even on paper at 50. Adjusted, adjusted, still wouldn't hit paper. Very frustrating for a scope of this price. So pulled out the CZ550 with Leupold VX-2 in .270win and it's still dead on, so I'll use it till I can remove scope and verify my iron sights zero on the 1895.

I'm using my Winchester M70 Featherweight 6.5x55. I'm going out this evening for a late day hunt and then again Fri afternoon for camp through Sunday.

I have friends I only see at deer camp. I can't wait to go. :D

Chris

Deer Camp is part of life

If any of ya can stand to watch a Michael Moore movie, "Escanaba in da moonlight," is what he thought of as a send-up of Deer Camp. The joke's on him--He got it exactly right! He's just too civilized to appreciate it!

Pipeline Gunner...

mj87k

If that M-1 gets too heavy for ya' try this un'... :D

It's actually a .50 cal gatling. GAU-19 So far as I know it's still a developmental project.

But is sure looks interesting... :D

Hey, a fellow MI brother with a Garand. I picked up mine from the CMP a few years back and I just love it. Its a regular grade CMP M1 that was scrapped together from arsenal parts but it is mostly an H&R from the Korean era. I wish it had the matching serial numbers to complete the collector's piece, but she shoots like a dream and won't give her up.

Back