Rifles as Gifts when Out of State?

Thornton44

Inactive
In the interests of doing the right thing I wanted to ask for some insight into the legality of receiving rifles as gifts when out of state.

Can one out of state resident give another resident of that same state a rifle while in another state? I am inclined to think no.

I am an OR resident completing graduate study in PA. My father is cleaning out my Grandfathers PA estate and would like to give me two of his rifles. My father is also an OR resident. Now if we were back home I can’t see any trouble with him giving or me receiving. Out of state however I have no idea what the right way would be to go about this. A transfer perhaps? I am going to call a few gun shops today, but thought I might post here as well to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Any and all advice welcomed!

If you were willing to pay a transfer fee ($25-50) Im sure it would not be a problem.

Since your accepting firearms from family though, you might not need to.
Call your local FFL dealer, they will know.

ANY transfer of a firearm between residents of different states needs at least one FFL involved.

Family does not matter, gift does not matter, being in the same state at the same time does not matter.

For long arms an FFL in either buyer(receiver, recipients, new owner, etc.) or sellers state (doner, giver, etc.) can do the transfer, but the laws of BOTH states MUST be followed.

For handguns ONLY an FFL in the receivers state can transfer the gun to the new owner.

It does not matter if the parties happen to be in the same state, what matters is if they are RESIDENTS OF THE SAME STATE.

If they are NOT RESIDENTS OF THE SAME STATE FFL(s) need to be involved (at least one).

Good advice here and whenever in doubt, go through an FFL in your residing state. Now, depending on how well you know an FFL, he may not charge you anything or at least give you a discount. Lately, I have not been paying any transfer fee and the highes fee I'm seeing, is $10.00. Not to say that there aren't higher fees out there, just saying some will cut you some slack. I have to compliment you for wanting to do the right thing and follow the law .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Back