Rifled Slug Question

Tackleberry

Quick qestion for a friend,...... he asked about using "rifled slugs" in a "rifled choke tube".

I thought there might be too much force on the tube, thinking they were designed for sabots.

NOW, .... how about "rifled slugs" in a fully rifled barrel????? Danger or not???? Accuracy difference or not????
Thanks

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

Forster style slugs and Brennekes,as a loose rule, shoot best from a smoothbore bbl or one with a rifled tube.Sabots shoot best from a full rifled bbl. But the only way to know which brand works best in your shotgun is to bench test.

Lots of old threads about this.

I have never tried it, but reports I have read from those who have done it say that shooting rifled slugs in rifled barrels causes HEAVY lead deposits in the rifling.

Yup, been there done that. You can fire a couple of boxes (10 rounds) before the accuracy really disappears but then you are in for a nice energenic session with a bore brush trying to scrape the lead out. If you only fire a very few, like in hunting, accuracy is ok and cleaning can be done later at home.
My rule of thumb is plain barrel= foster type slugs. Rifled barrel = sabot's

Back