Rifle wood

deepforest27

Inactive
I read in one of the threads that you must be careful when hunting with a wood stocked rifle, especially in inclement weather. I plan on buying a Win 94 son, so I am worried about hunting with it in the rain and fog. When I hunt, there is generally tons of moisture in the air (fog and mist). I usually hunt from first light until dusk, unless I score. Are these concerns farfetched or should I choose another rifle with polymer stocks and just not worry about it. Secondly, how do you clean a rifle with wooden stocks, i.e., Win 94 after returing from the field? Thanks

Nothing worse than the weather here in the Pac NW. I do not think that there can be a place in the lower 48 with more adverse conditions. Blued rifles with wood stocks do just fine. They just require a bit more TLC after hunting. I would not be too concerned about the wood than I would the mental. Metal rusts, all the moisture needs to be removed from the rifle and then oiled, liberally. Inside and out. If you are really concerned about weather, Marlin will be introducing a 30/30 in stainless steel this summer. Can't wait that long, Rossi made a 30/30 in stainless, but you've got to hunt them down.

Robert

It's a real concern when your talking bolt guns and stock warpage changing the point of impact.

I had a M70 in '06 that would vary from week to week due to warpage. Not a lot, just enough to bother me. (I was in Germany) Synthetic stock cured that one,

For a .30/30, I wouldn't worry about it. My swamp/rain gun for years was a Marlin .30/30. Only thing I did was refinish the forend and stock, with the idea being to seal the unfinished wood. Usually what you can't see is raw wood. (under the barrel on the forend, where the stock joins the receiver and under the buttplate)

For drying your rifle off after a hard hunt, a blow dryer like you use on your hair is wonderful. Another tip is to use non-abrasive car wax on the exposed metal parts.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Back