Rifle weight loss plan

roklok

Thought maybe some of you would be interested in a project I just finished up. I have had a stainless Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .270 Win chambering for about 14 years now. It was originally a LSS Mountain Rifle with the laminated stock, but right after buying it, I put on a plastic Remington stock which shaved a few ounces. I also mounted a Leupold compact 3-9 in steel Leupold mounts. I hunted with it for those past 14 years in that configuration. It was a reasonably light rifle, about 7.5 pounds scoped. It has accounted for a lot of game, many deer, sheep, coyote, groundhog, and moose.

I had been tempted lately by some of the lighter weight rifles on the market, the Kimber Montana’s, the Titanium 700s, etc that weigh in between five and six pounds. On backpack hunts into the Brooks range, I am always looking at ways to lighten the load, cutting off my toothbrush handle, using titanium cookware, etc. It seems that no matter how good of shape I think I am in, or how much I prepare, pack weight still seems to increase when you are 10 miles from camp in rugged terrain at last light. Especially with a pack loaded with meat.

I decided instead to try to lighten up my .270 Mountain rifle, and turn it into a true “mountain rifle.” My goal was to shave a pound off of its weight, I figured that would be a reasonable goal and one that would be noticeable in the field.

I started by replacing the steel scope mounts with Talley Lightweight aluminum mounts. This provided a weight savings of 2.66 ounces. Might not sound like a lot, but 4 ounces is a quarter pound, so I figured that was a good start. I then sent my bolt to Kampfeld custom, where it was fluted and the bolt knob hollowed out. This provided a weight loss of 1.02 ounce. Not a lot, but ounces make pounds, and the fluting adds a nice custom touch. I then replaced the factory striker and firing pin assembly with a Callahan Aluminum assembly. With the fluting, and the aluminum striker installed, the total bolt weight loss was 3.12 ounces.

So far, I had a total weight savings of 5.78 ounces, if I was to realize my goal of shedding a pound, I would need to lose an additional 10+ ounces. The factory plastic stocks are really not much if any lighter than wood, so I was figuring from the beginning to replace the stock. The plastic Remington stock weighed 33.3 ounces, or 2 pounds, 1.3 ounce. After much research, I decided to order a Kevlar Pound’r
Stock blank from Brown Precision. According to Brown, these blanks run about 15-17 ounces and finish at a bit more, depending on LOP, recoil pad used, paint, etc. I finished the Kevlar blank and used a flip flop sole from Wal-Mart to make a recoil pad, as I figured it would be durable and weigh less than commercially produced recoil pads. It turned out great, the flip flop sole pad looks like a commercial pad but weighs next to nothing. I figure it should last quite a while on the butt of a rifle, since it was designed to walk on.

After finishing, glass bedding, completed and ready to install, the Brown Kevlar stock weighed an even sixteen ounces, exactly a pound ! A seventeen ounce savings from the Remington stock.

I wish I had weighed the blank when I first received it, but I did not. It is very light and stiff, I can’t get the foreend to flex at all. I am very impressed with the combination of stiffness and light weight.

The rifle now weighs at six pounds exactly complete with mounted scope. I figure the bare rifle weight is about five pounds four ounces, as the scope is listed as weighing 8.8 ounces and the Talley mounts weigh 2.17 ounces.

Five and one quarter pounds, not bad at all for a long action steel receiver Model 700. Total weight loss was 22.78 ounces, or 1.42 pounds.

Attachments

• Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 273
and used a flip flop sole from Wal-Mart to make a recoil pad, as I figured it would be durable and weigh less than commercially produced recoil pads. It turned out great, the flip flop sole pad looks like a commercial pad but weighs next to nothing. I figure it should last quite a while on the butt of a rifle, since it was designed to walk on.

I like that idea. Being a Frugal Outdoorsman, finding materials with secondary uses like this is right up my alley. How did you mount it? Is it durable enough to hold the mounting screws?

I am intrigued.

Yes, weight loss on rifles can be an intriguing pastime. I once built a sheep-hunting rifle for a customer in 338 Win Mag that weighed in a 6 1/2 lbs (with scope and loaded). He loved almost everything about it, except for the recoil.

One problem with lightweight rifles is that recoil can become quite sharp if you do not choose the right components for reducing weight. You chose the right stock (Kevlar/graphite composites are the lightest stocks available), and lightweighting the bolt seems to have shaved a few ounces, although adding the aluminum striker assemble seems to have added weight, not reduced it (2.66 ounces for fluting, 1.02 ounces for hollowing the bolt handle = 3.68 ounces lost, but your total weight reduction was 3.12). I am not sure of the value of adding the flip-flop sole as a recoil pad, but whatever. Recoil pads like the LimbSaver or KickEze do not weigh very much, and they are designed to reduce recoil substantially.

I find it interesting that you did not try to reduce the barrel's weight or lightweight the action. There is a lot of steel there. Fluting a Mountain Rifle barrel would save very little weight, it is already pencil-thin. There are other options, like aluminum sleeving the barrel, that will add rigidity and reduce weight as well. And I have seen Remington actions honeycombed to reduce weight, although I usually recommend turning and sleeving them.

All in all, your rifle turned out very nicely. How does it shoot?

You did good.

I have a couple of the Brown Precision stocks. Been using one since 1982 and you can't wear one out. Every 10 years or so I sand them down, fill in any dings and repaint. It looks new again.

I went on my 1st backpack hunt into a mountain wilderness area in 1977. Even though I was only 20 and a lot tougher than now I knew then that I needed something lighter. I did basically the same thing to my 700 ADL in 30-06. Ditched the wood stock and haven't hunted with wood in nearly 30 years. Since mine has a heavier barrel about 7 1/4 lbs (including scope and mounts) is as light as I can get it. They didn't offer the Kevlar stock at that time either. My stock is around 22-23oz.

You did all the right things. Lots of guys never consider the weight of their scope and mounts, but by choosing wisely, you can save 1/2 lb there alone.

Thanks guys for the compliments, I think it turned out pretty well. It was my first attempt at working with a kevlar blank and it was somewhat difficult to work with. I believe the end result was well worth the effort.

PawPaw, the recoil pad is not screwed on, it is epoxied onto the stock. The Brown stocks have a foam core and nothing to screw into. Mark Brown advised that they simply epoxy the pads on after cutting to customers LOP. The end of the stock could be filled with wood to hold a screw, but of course, that would add weight. I roughed up the pad with sandpaper and wiped with 91% alcohol to ensure adhesion. I doubt that a flip flop sole could be screwed to a stock, unless it was first glued to a hard backing material.

Scorch, the fluting and hollowing the bolt knob removed 1.02 ounces of steel. Switching to the aluminum striker assembly reduced weight by 2.1 ounces, for a total bolt weight loss of 3.12 ounce. Sorry if that was not clear.

I have not fired the rifle yet since its renovation, I just finished it before my two week work rotation started, so it will be a while before I get some trigger time with it. It always shot pretty well in the flexy plastic stock, I expect it should do as well or better in the much stiffer Brown stock.

used a flip flop sole from Wal-Mart to make a recoil pad, as I figured it would be durable and weigh less than commercially produced recoil pads.

Holy crap, that's ingenious. I'm really interested in how that works out for you. Even if it wears out quicker than you expect, I'm sure it's cheap enough to replace.

Did you consider shortening the barrel a little? 2" could save a couple more ounces I'm sure.

Sounds like a success story! I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

No he's just stating the facts. The pills actually sell themselves.

At least we got to read about the flip flop recoil pad again.

I hope you don't regret that flip-flop sole thing. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start to deteriorate on you and flake apart or get gummy. I had a similar idea when I built my home-made cleaning vise. I used woodworker's parallel jaw clamps for the stock and glued on rubber pads. Within a year, those rubber pads started to deteriorate and fall apart. They left a gummy mess on any wood they touched. Next time, I need to find either a different material or at least rubber that is more stable.

Edit: Holy crap. I just realized I replied to a zombie thread. I hate those things.

No he's just stating the facts. The pills actually sell themselves.

So does NOT elbowing your way to the front of the buffet line at Pizza Hut for a gorge-fest three times a week. :rolleyes:

Try putting less in your mouth, and then only the nutritious foods, and then combine the caloric restriction with a reasonable weekly exercise program, and you'll see the poundage shed off faster than with the 'miracle' pills.

Last edited:
In 2011, I was still working and on my original heart configuration.
"...less in your mouth, and..." Walk a couple klicks per week.

Just more proof of life after death. :eek: I actually found it to be quite interesting and possibly a project I might try. :rolleyes:
Paul B.

Back