Rifle value with stock shortened?

Sea Buck

I recently bought a rifle from a friend. A Winchester Model 70 lightweight with a Schnabel stock. Manufactured in early 1980's I think. The rifle is ANIB. and rarely fired. I need to shorten the 141/2 in. LOP to my 13 in. LOP which will also be good for my grandkids. What will this do to the value of the rifle. Thanks in advance.

The value varies depending upon the caliber- more common ones like 30-06 are not a valuable as other ones. The pre 64 models are worth more than later ones. Lots of variables. Look at used ones on Gunbroker to get the best idea.

If you're going to keep it then who cares. If you're going to sell it then don't do it. It may be a nice gun but it's not a bar of gold being sawed in half.

If you are worried about it, buy a cheap aftermarket stock and cut that down. You can swap it back when the grandkids grow a bit.

Keep the original stock as is and buy a cheap aftermarket replacement. Cut that one to meet your L of P needs. No permanent harm to the rifle and its value will increase other than the normal reduction for handling/use.

Just saying:
I predict a day will come when all American made Winchester's will become prized collector pieces.

"I need to shorten the 141/2 in. LOP to my 13 in. LOP which will also be good for my grandkids."

I have two of those rifles and the LOP on both is 13 1/2" The .257 Roberts is still stock but I had a Pachmeyr Decelerator installed for my wife's comfort. LOP is still 13 1/2. Might that 14 1/2 be a typo?
FWIW, those two are my favorite rifles. I could keep those two, a custom 30-06 and custom .35 Whelen and be happy the rest of my days. :D
Paul B.

Lightweight of Featherweight? They made both. If it has the schnabel forend it is Featherweight and the 1980's-1990's guns do have some a decent resale value. The Lightweights used the same action and barrel, but with a cheaper stock and are not nearly as desirable. It'll never have any collector value, but are desirable as shooters. Current value would be $350-$400 depending.

Cutting the stock might make it a little harder to sell down the road, but if done right probably won't hurt the value much at all. Especially if you find someone looking for a shorter stock.

If I was keeping it for myself I'd shorten it to my needs.

If I intended to pass it on I'd cut a different stock and keep the original for when the grandkid grows up. The grandkid can do whatever with the stock after that: put it back on full length, or cut it to fit, or sell it.

Am I correct in saying it wasn't a terribly expensive purchase anyways? 1980, is not old enough for people to care about, unless it has some change.

Do people care about pre 64 as much, since they went back to control feed? It sort of leaves that era as less interesting, atleast for now. Push feed has advantages too.

"I suggest getting a different stock, leave the original alone, the kids will grow into it."

Check the auction sites for a different (cheap) stock that fits your action. Cut the el-cheapo stock and leave the original intact.

If you can buy replacement stocks, I say cut the stock one. If you ever need to buy a replacement. If it works you may not want to.

I haven't done alot to mine. But I look at them as permanent possessions. Unless you know I get a felony

How does a stock that fits you also fits your grandkids (unless you are small of stature or your grandkids are older and bigger than what I am thinking about)

What's it worth to you with the stock shortened? If it was mine and I wanted it shortened I'd shorten it. Or you could take it off and put a different stock on it. I've never bought a gun figuring it was an investment in money, only an investment in my own pleasure.

Well, that about answers this question. I guess I will have it shortened to my LOP. There is a quality gun stock maker not far away that can do an outstanding job. FWIW it is a featherweight and a serial number check says 1984. It is in 7MM Mauser. A very pretty rifle, it will go on a hunt with me this fall. Thanks for all the replies.

Back