Rifle suggestion sought.

Quincy

I am in the market for a new rifle and haven't quite found what I am looking for yet, maybe some of you might have suggestions. Its primary use would casual target shootout, sitting, kneeling and off hand. I plan on aperture sights, no scope, at least as long as my eyes cooperate. Range generally from 25 to 100 yards. The action could by either lever or bolt and I am hoping for a relatively short rifle, say 39"; less would be good. Not sure about caliber, but definitely centerfire, maybe .223/5.56, (cheap, even decent ammo), .357; suggestions? Since it's for paper, light recoil and modest ammo cost would be good. Any thoughts would be most appreciated, thanks.

Q

For that shooting I use a 94 Winchester in 30/30 with a Lyman 66 sight. I load bullets I cast myself at 1600 fps. Makes a fine range rifle & cheap to shoot.

My other range rifle is a standard 700 Remington in 223. I use a scope on this rifle but could install a receiver sight. The rifle is a sporter & shoots fine kneeling or prone.

I don't know what your budget is but at 6 lbs. 42" and firing 22 Hornet, the Lyman Ideal would be an absolute hoot.

I would love to have one myself but my aging eyesight has diminished a lot of the fun I used to have shooting irons.

Another vote for the cz 527. Very compact and handy rifle and a fantastic trigger.

I have one in 7.62x39 but it sounds like the .223 might be a better option for your uses(recoil mostly)

Check out the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Very handy, very accurate, good for hunting up to deer sized critters at those ranges easily. And comes with iron sights.

It's great.

What's your budget?
I'd be thinking Savage(not Axis though) myself. High end kit without the high end price.
"...from 25 to 100 yards..." That says .223 to me, but there are other .22's that would do as well. .22 Hornets and the like. You have to remember the availability of ammo and/or brass isn't always there for some of 'em though. .22 Bee, et al, for example.

Thanks for all the replies. I have actually thought about the Ruger American Ranch in .223/5.56 or a Winchester 1892 clone in .357. The '92 would be easy to get aperture sights for, not sure about adding them to the bolt though. A lever is just a classic, especially for the kind of shooting I plan on. The bolt, however is so simple and clean. Not fond of the synthetic stock on the Ruger (it may be very good, I am just not a fan), but it could be replaced with a Boyds and still be in it for relatively little money. My budget is up to $1000 for the right combination. I would like short and light, but yet have some weight out at the muzzle for stabilizing when shooting off-hand.

Q

A lever action in .357 is an excellent choice but I would also give a long look at a CZ 527.

I got one recently and I'm very impressed. I did this at 100 yards with dirt cheap steel cased 7.62x39 ammo and a $300 scope and I'm just an average shooter. Just a heads up, the set trigger could be tripped by an ant fart but you dont' have to use it. My next gun might have to be the 527 in .223.

group_zpslxkuangl.jpg

Thanks for the CZ suggestion. I actually really like the Mannlicher version. That accuracy looks fantastic. Very interesting!

Lol the ant fart statement is great but true...the set trigger is unbelievably light, I wouldn't set it for anything other than target shooting from a bench.

Back