Rifle Started Blowing Cases, Why?

Runs With Fire

My buddy was took his son to a competition. He had a Savage 110 ultralight in 270. He noticed his boy reacting more than usual to the recoil, which got progressively worse. The 20 the shot blew the primer. Dad tried it and blew the next three even worse. He immediately there out his hand loads and grabbed a box of Remington. Two shots fired, both blew the primer and split the case.
This was not a new gun. They'd both shot it a lot. My first suggestion was to look for a lot of copper in the rifling. I also thought perhaps there was a carbon ring messing with the case neck. Just some things to check while in the field. He just ordered some go/no-go gauges. It was sunny but neither the gun nor ammo very hot to the touch.
So, I'm asking what y'all think. What might have made a progression of pressure like that? I don't have any experience with that rifle so I'm at a loss on the mechanical side of things.

Temperature sensitive powder. Were the reloads developed in colder weather? And yes some factory loads can be to hot for some guns in warm weather.

Hmm, interesting notion. I haven't heard back from him so I don't know if it was a carbon or copper issue. I'm quite certain that as the barrel warmed up it got worse, but that would have only been the agitator that brought the underlying issue to light. I'm waiting to hear from him if he figured anything out yet.

Did he have a heavy bolt lift? Blown primers are a sign of over pressure. If he was at max charge and the loads were developed in colder weather that could do it.

Something happened to the chamber or wrong ammo. Since they have reloads it probably is not a wrong ammo issue.

He immediately [threw] out his hand loads and grabbed a box of Remington. Two shots fired, both blew the primer and split the case.
- Grab an aluminum coke can and cut 1/4" strips out of it; then crosswise for 1/4" squares. (each ~3½ thousandths thick)
- Take a commercial round of the Remington ammo, and start adding those squares to the base (adhesived)

How many squares before the bolt won't close ?

- Grab an aluminum coke can and cut 1/4" strips out of it; then crosswise for 1/4" squares. (each ~3½ thousandths thick)
- Take a commercial round of the Remington ammo, and start adding those squares to the base (adhesived)

How many squares before the bolt won't close ?
Very interesting. I was thinking buildup in the chamber/barrel/ but the loose barrel nut increasing the headspace is a very interesting idea. Really like the coke can idea as well.

Barrel nut loose and headspace is increasing with each shot.
^That.

-

Also, throwing away handloads that are suspect is idiotic.
That is the most valuable collection of evidence, other than the rifle itself.
Absolutely idiotic to trash the primary avenue for investigation.

Agreed, you could check all the dimensions on the case, pull the bullets, check the charge weight. Rule out or confirm a reloading error.

The only reason I didn't suggest tape, is that it compresses easily ('squishy' bolt close).

Given the plausibility of catastrophic headspace change, I still suggest stepping 0.0035' at
a time w/ (largely) incompressible metal.

Remington did have a recall on some 270 ammo.
Was overpressured enough that some of their pump guns came apart, and permanently swelled chambers in bolt guns.

Part of the reason i don't shoot factory ammo.

As for the handloads, they are either too hot.
Or.
The cases have been loaded at/near max pressures enough times to cause loose primer pockets.

Back