Rifle scope

Captain Bligh

Could you please recommend some scopes that I should consider for a .22? Application would primarily be for squirrel hunting. I'd be putting this on a Ruger 10/22 for my teenager. I know little about rifles and less about scopes.

RJ

Generally if I'd post something like this in the rifle forum it would get moved to the accessories forum. It can be so confusing!

How much do I want to spend? I dunno. How much do I need to spend to get a decent quality scope?

RJ

Cap: Scopes are are probably the firearm accessory that exhibit the biggest cost/benefit ratio. Scopes are precision optical instruments and unfortunately, precision optical instruments cost money. There are some decent bargins out there, but you definitely get what you pay for. To further complicate matters, most riflescopes out there, are designed and built for centerfire rifles. This means that the parallax is adjusted for a much greater distance than a scope designed for a .22. I will not offer any specific suggestions other than to say that I would be looking at something with a fairly large objective lens. In the thick woods, and in the first hours after daylight, you need all the light transmission you can get. Having a large objective lens will help. Having good lens coatings will also help transmit this light to the eye, and this is where the cheaper scopes fall short of the mark. Really good lens coatings that transmit the maximum amount of light are usually only found in the higher end scopes. All that being said, most any scope will work. It is just a question of long term reliability and how well the socpe will work.

Back