Rifle scope

burrhead

Looking at scopes for a Remington BDL in 7mm Mag. Any feelings out there about Leupold vs. Simmons variables. Thinking about a Simmons ADT (I think that's the right model designation) 2.5x10. This would be used for South Texas mulies and occasional trips to Colorado. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Join the NRA.

[This message has been edited by burrhead (edited September 14, 1999).]

The old saying that you get what you pay for is not always right but one thing is a sure fact ,you never get what you don't pay for. There is very little difference in lens today because they are computer generated off the same optical program and are ground and polished on computerized machines so the only place you can cut cost is in the metal work and assembly and quality. Simmons has a good rep of standing behind their scopes but you don't want to be in Colorado and have it fail on you. I recommend any one buy the best and most reliable system you can afford because it can cost a lot more for a ruined hunt than it will for a better scope.

With the pounding your rifle will be taking I'd spring for a Leupold or other top name scope maker. Otherwise you have a much better chance of your scope failling when you really need it.

We had a Simmons 3.5X10 on a AR15A2 and it would not keep a zero for crap. Had to send it back and by the time we got a replacement scope 5-6 weeks had passed, along with about 5 phone calls. Sure they have a excelent warranty but can you afford to be without your rifle for that long???

To Burrhead and Joey:

Burrhead. Leupold all the way.

Joey. Many scopes will not hold up on semi-automatic rifles. Something to do with the jarring they get as the bolt slams back and forth. Something to think about.
Paul B.

Leupold is the best scope above all for the money. That is the scope used on all Military shoulder weapons today.

Cheers,

ts

hate to sound like a broken record, but I strongly suggest you spend as much as you possibly can on the scope. Leupold, Burris, etc. give you your money's worth. Simmons is a great company, but when I spend $1000 plus for a once a year hunt, it just makes sense to spend more than $100 for the scope that I'll use year after year. Don't get me wrong-it took me years to realize this. I favor Burris scopes today, but Leupold are at least as good. Go for it-I promise you'll be happy you did for years to come.

Personally, I'd buy a Tasco over a simmons. Tasco has a GREAT customer service department if you ever have a problem. (like replacing the pair of binos my dad ran over with a truck free of charge).

For the record the ONLY scope failure I ever had in the field was a 20 year old weaver that fogged up. (kicked myself for removing the rifle sights)

I use tasco scopes almost exclusively.. my dad likes burris etc. but the funny thing is.. in the higher power scopes (4-16 var) the tasco's optics are BETTER IMHO.

Having said that I have a 4 power leopould gold ring that is waiting for me to buy a new .375 (maybe a cz 550 magnum) ;)

I do recommend burris or redfield rings.. as they are more stable and have less screws to loosen up. NEVER use aluminum rings.

Stay safe,

Dr.Rob

Leupold and Springfield Armory are my favoriate optics. I put military grade tactical scopes on anything with rifling in the barrel.

Go to www.riflescopes.com and get your best retail deal. Otherwise try www.auctionarms.com or www.gunbroker.com or e-bay.com on the web. Do searches for these two manufacture's goods and shop (or bid) for the best deal. Good Leupolds in the tactical configs or Springfield Armory's military config will set you back $900+ and $500+/- respectively.

Ptpalpha and Dr. Rob. I only have one Burris scope. It was the easiest to sight in of any scope I have ever owned. It is the
1/3/4 X 6 Fullfield. I don't expect a lot of field of view at 6X, but I do expect more than I got at 1 3/4 power. Also it is not as bright as many less expensive scopes that I own. Frankly, I was disappointed in it.
I like some of the later, early (mid 80's)Tasco scopes. The first ones weren't too hot, either optically or structurally. I bought one of their cheapie $29.94 4X models at time when money was short. I should have gotten more. It was used for testing several magnum rifles, including a .338 Win. Mag. The last Tasco I bought, was a World Class 3x9. My only gripe with it so far is, it is too damn heavy. I see the new World class's are made in the Phillipines, and the 4X's are coming out of Red China. The 4X I looked at was lousy, seemed flimsy and seemed to be very poorly made. JMHO. I was not too sure of the Phillipine made World Class, so I passed on it, but at least it did seem to be better put together than the 4X.
I guess I'll stick with Leupold.
Paul B.

Let me put one more vote in for Leupold. I currently have a Vari-X III on my 7mm Rem. Mag. and love it!

I've tried Bushnells (B&L's also), Tasco's, Simmons, ad nausuem, but I'm glad I "bit the bullet" and went with Leupold.

You will also, with no regrets.

------------------
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~~Etienne de Grellet

OK, taking everything that has been mentioned into consideration, what is the general opinion of Nikon rifle scopes? Lord knows they make some of the best cameras in the world. Do they have a clue when it comes to rifle optics?

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

The Nikon scope is the product of Nikon America and is not Made by Nikon of Japan! They contract it out to the lowest bidder. I was contacted to make them but wouldn't come down to their price. They are no netter than any other import like Simmons.Tasco ect

Mr. McMillan;

thanks for the info. I thought the Nikon scopes looked a little cheesy. Now I know why. Looks like it's back to Leupold....

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Re: Simmons Scopes--

I own two, and, while the optics are good and the light-gathering is very good, the repeatibility of the clicks is... Not so good. If you get one, especially one of their "hunting range-finder adjustible-zero" scopes, RESIST the temptation to move that zero, because the clicks aren't necessarily honest 1/4 MOA clicks! 4 clicks may give you an inch up at a 100, or they may give you 2.3". Coming back, they may give a very different figure.

No big deal to me-- I'm 2.5" high at 100, and know my trajectory.

But I wish I'd saved up for a Leupold or a Swarovski.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

The reason for the variation in the click adjustment is due to the pivot point on the is made out of rubber. Instead of a spherical rearing at the pivot point it is an O ring. This gives you a spring loaded effect with the force always trying to center it's self so you have uneven pressure on the return spring depending on which side of center the erector cell is. This is typical of Japanese design and most imports use this method of hinge.

The Nikon 2-7x32 scope I own was bought a couple of years ago and is marked "Japan" on the bottom. Apparently, not all of them are made in America. By the way, like all other Nikon products, its a nice piece of work.

They were made in SE Asia for a time and now they are made by Light in Japan I believe. As I said before Nikon Japan has nothing to due with the rifle scope.It is contracted out by Nikon America Which is an independent Corp.

Leupold. Bought one back in '76 and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. I own several Leupolds and they are my choice when it comes to ruggedness and reliability.

If you can't afford it new, buy used and if you have any doubt, send it back to Leupold. They'll fix it for free!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back