Rifle Rest

RDF

Any ideals on a good rest to shoot off a bench and sight in scopes

[This message has been edited by RDF (edited February 03, 2000).]

There's always shooting bags (small sandbags with "rabbit ears") for the serious accuracy person. I get by with throwing an old moving blanket over my shooting bag and resting the stock (not the barrel) on that.

Several years ago, I read an article in which Ross Sigfreid, the Guns & Ammo writer, was shooting one of his elephant guns like the .585 or something like that in a rest over the bench.

I think it was called the "Stingless Rifle Rest". The rifle strapped in with velcro and springs absorbed even mega magnum recoil. He commented that the thing was very steady and the crosshairs seemed glued to the target. It looked similar to an Outers varmint rest. If you can find any info on this rest please post here...

Second choice for me would be the Lohman Sight Vise which I saw at Walmart the other night... Anybody use one of these?

Before I ever bought any expensive guns, one of my longtime benchrest friends swayed me into purchasing a Hart rest and Protektor sanbags. He told me that I would never regret this initial investment. He was right. Although expensive, I use the darn thing for everything...including sighting in junk-AKs and plinking with little .22s. I tried some of the others, like the sight Vise which is a much cheaper alternative. But it doesn't feel the same. Look at Sinclair's catalog for the different Hart combos.

DeBee,

Don't waste or money on the lohman gun rest. I bought one for the same reason that you do. The only thing it is good for is holding your gun to clean it.

------------------

L.D.

Those zippered bank bags, about 2/3 full of sand, work pretty well. Old shot bags, if you're friends with a shotgun reloader. Or, if you have a friend at a bank, the bags that coins come in--if our modern age still uses such things.

Back