Rifle rebarrel

RDF

I have a 1968 Rem 700 in .223 with a bull barrel. We haven't been able to find the twist rate, the cleaning rod won't turn.
If we find that the barrel is shot out what kind of replacement barrel would you recomend? How much would it cost? Or would i be better to trade to a new model varmit rifle? If i have the barrel replaced what else should be done to have a tack driver?

Any number of quality barrels are out there. Hart, Shilen, Douglas, Lijia (sp)do wonderful work with barrels. IMO I would go with the Hart, based on seeing the way several rifles shot with those barrels, some well under 1/2MOA. To reply to the question of getting a better tack driver, have the trigger tuned or replaced, tuned is easier on the wallet and just as good. Also see if you can get the action trued, this will be from a rifle smith. Probably a synthetic stock, if that is your desire. Check out Precision Shooting magazine or their site, forgot the address.

RDF, I've gotten as good or better accuracy from a properly installed Douglas barrel as any on the market. 1/4" groups are not uncommon with their air-gaged bbls. As a standard part of installing a new barrel I always true the action, bolt face & bolt lugs. I would also recommend glass bedding the rifle. I would be happy to give you an exact quote. Just e-mail me. George

I'd think the first question to ask is if you have the accuracy potential that your original 700 is capable of.

Is your trigger adjusted? Pretty easy for 700s & free (if you're 1/2-way mechanically inclined). Free-float barrel? Pretty easy & about $20 (& if you're 1/2-way mechanically inclined). Screws tight, etc.

First things first.

'Course, if you want a new barrel - hey, it's America!

Pretty amazing tho' what just a few tweaks can do - for cheap.

Back