Rifle Questions

The Rock

I am looking to purchase a Savage 10 Tatical Rifle from an individual. I can buy a new rifle for 399. I have been offered a used rifle for 450, but it has been accurized by Dorsey Gunsmiths. Any thoughts on these guys? The gentleman said it has been "Trued receiver/squared and lapped bolt lugs/opened and squared bolt face/new
firing pin spring to get the correct weight/firing pin protrusion
adjusted/new trigger spring/ trigger internals polished/trigger set to a
consistant 2.0 pounds let off."

Is this worth it? Or am I wasting my money and time getting this?

TIA
TR

TR, I don't have any experience with this particular smith's work but if the work listed was indeed done to the rifle it's a steal. I would expect it to be much more accurate than the new rifle. But, what about the bedding? I would ask that question and if it hasn't been bedded find out how much they would tack on to get it that glass bedded. George

Rock and George, I don't know if I'm out of line in posting here, since we're talking about my rifle.
Rock; Paul Dorsey is a retired Shilen gunsmith with his own shop, 6820 Spring Branch Road, Waxahachie, Tx 75167
phone 972-923-1051. Ask about the work done to Mike McDonalds rifle.
George; No bedding work has been done at all. We did change the action screws to something I could put a torque wrench on, which really helped. The rifle has shot some
0.2XX groups from a bench but I don't consider them typical, more luck than anything. 0.4XX is the norm for this rifle.
Don't forget to ad the Blackhawk lace on cheekpiece, Shilen oversized recoil lug, and Michaels 1 1/4 inch military sling to the deal.
Wadda ya think George????

------------------
Either learn to hit what you aim at, or take track lessons.

Rock, you just can't talk about anybody or their gun behind their back anymore. :-)Michael's groups are proof to me that the work done to the rifle was quality. But let's put it in $$. A used 10 would probably be valued at around $365. In my shop the work that was done to rifle and the extras would come to around $300 (est.). Sounds like to me that Michael is asking $450 for $665.00 worth of gun. Sound right? George

George,
I do that kind of work also. I think you are at the very least low balling the rifle. More like $750 and up. And why has NO ONE mentioned the type of scope on it, or has it been removed? I KNOW you can't get sub 1/2 MOA groups with iron sights. And if YOU can, let me know.

All of my long distance shooters that I build will do 1/2 MOA. With good ammo, a good shooter and a little patience. And all of them have all the work above mentioned, plus bedding, plus a Schilen NM barrel to boot. All of mine sell for more that $1500, depending on scope attached to rifle. Jim

Wallew, believe me, if I could shoot 0.5moa with iron sights.....EVERYONE would know! As to the scope, Rock said he might be interested w/o the scope so it wasn't mentioned. I shoot it with the scope that came on it, a Redfield 5 Star 3x9x50 with the SN reticle. Just had that rebuilt also, centered, parallax adjusted, regassed, lenses reset in new O rings. Shop didn't fix the scratch on the tube though.....oh well, it was a warranty freebee. BTW, this isn't a serious rifle for me, more of a play toy, accurate, but still a toy.

------------------

Rock, if you don't buy it, can I? (Just expressing the desires of all others who've followed this thread). weegee

Weegee, Me thinks Rock doesn't want it(the silence is deafening) so it can be yours.

------------------

Back