Rifle Question/ Hunting Distance

codyj1122

Inactive
I have a Winchester 270 but I recently placed a treestand on a spot of my property where I will have a long view over a ridgeline for white tail this season. Im looking to get another gun to mess around with and I think I want to get a 6.5 Creedmoor I was just wondering if someone can specify the main difference for me between the creedmoor and 6.5x55 I would greatly appreciate the inputs.:confused:

It was my grandfathers gun who had passed and I am just not wanting to put the wear and tear on it anymore. I may get a synthetic 270 if I dont go with a 6.5.

There isn't very much difference between the Creedmor and 6.5x55 and both are very close to the 270.
With the 270 at 100 yds or less the 130 gr is too fragile ,use the 150.

I currently use a 150 learned my lesson last year lol. I really like my 270 just figured i would give something else a try for a while. If i go with a 6.5 do you think I should just go with the 6.5x55 or the creedmoor i heard complaints of the Creedmoor ammo being a little annoying to get. I wasn't sure if this was still currently a issue.

its a great round. lots of different bullet weights/types. not to mention it packs on helluva punch without that stiff of a kick.

Gee, how did Jack O'Connor manage to kill just about everything in North America with a 130 grain bullet from his 270? Pick a good bullet and 130 grain will do just fine. You might consider puting a synthetic stock on grandpa's rifle and using it, just take care of the rifle. The stock is the part that gets dinged up the most. I am sure your grandfather would have wanted you to hunt with his rifle rather than turning it into a closet queen. You can always put gramp's stock back on later.

The starting point for any decision in comparing cartridges is the bullet weight and muzzle velocity. Most anything from around 100 grains to 180 grains and muzzle velocities above 2,600 or 2,700 ft/sec will do just fine for Bambi.

Range to around 400 or 500 yards is limited by basic skills and knowledge of the trajectory. But, generally, skill at doping the wind is highly important beyond 300 yards.

"...I will have a long view over a ridgeline for white tail..."

1. Is that actually overlooking a ridgeline? As in looking down on? I'd hope it doesn't mean shooting past a ridgeline. :)

2. About how long is this long view?

Quote: with the .270 at 100 yds or less the 130 grn is too fragile , use the 150.

Absolutely Not true Mete, I use the Nosler Accubond, and it's a bad boy at that range... Shot a big buck last year right through the ribs just behind the shoulder went clean through with a .277 entrance and a nickle exit, but it wasn't too fragile.
Proper bullets at proper velocities!;)

Via a .270, folks been killing Bambi for decades with the 130. That's pretty much been the standard since the .270 was first introduced. Back nearly fifty years ago, I used the Remington Bronze Point.

My comments should have been preceeded by defining things . I like to eat my venison ! I used a 6.5x55 for 25 years [the original specs with 140 gr] with great success. Very little meat ever lost. I have seen and butchered deer shot at under 100 yds with the 130gr 270.Spectacular kills yes ,meat damage ? far too much for me.

Aw, mete, didn't nobody never tell ya that you're not s'posed to shoot 'em in the eatin' part? :D There's a reason God gave Bambi a white spot.

Eatin' part ? My shots are normally lung shots . I butchered a friends deer shot through the shoulders with a 130 270 . I threw out most of the shoulders ." it puts them down like lightning" he said .One first time experience for me - I was slicing up the thickest part of the ham and noticed a small whole .That went half way through that section .What was it ? Secondary projectile , a piece of bone almost 1/8 " from the shoulder all the way back through the ham !! :p

Well you are going to get a lot of meat damage if you place any bullet through the shoulders even with the Swede. Deflate the lungs and you ruin very little as long as you don't hit an offside shoulder. Never had a problem ruining too much meat with a .270 inside 100 or past 400 on deer, lost one offside shoulder on a cow elk once though.

I use a 300WM through the boiler room..........no problem with meat loss. However the liver and heart are always kaput. Yeah, it almost always takes part of a rib out the other side, but there isnt much meat on the ribs anyway.

Back