Rifle of compromise. Which bolt gun?

vanfunk

Hi guys. Financial concerns are forcing my hand these days (funny, and I'm making more than ever. Hmmm) and I'm going to be whiddling down my collection this weekend. I'll need something to replace my Russian SKS, a Savage-made Enfield .303, A Sako .222, and possibly a Russian M44 7.62x54. What I want is an bolt gun of distinction and pedigree. One I can target shoot all day, but is sufficiently powerful for a variety of uses. Ammo must not be prohibitively expensive. I do not reload (sob). No hunting, but possible cabin/wilderness defense needed. Wood stock, decent scope. Got about $500 to spend on the package. What do you recommend? My thoughts change every moment, but right now I'm thinking about a Remington M700 in .243 or .308, leaning toward the .308. Help!
Thanks,
Vanfunk

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Savage package gun chambered in .30-06. Inexpensive gun/ammo combination, which will leave money left over your $500 budget. Savage may not be glamorous but considering they've been around since 1895 I think they qualify as having a pedigree. ;)

Finacially I'm in the same position, which makes me wonder we folks talk about how good Clinton has been for the economy. :confused:

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Hard to go wrong with a Remington 700 in .308. Accurate, easy to find ammo, plenty of knock down potential. The 700 (BDL series) is a proven performer under adverse conditions, and will keep its value.

Same as above. .308 or .30-06. I'm old fashioned so I'd go with the .30-06... but I hunt a lot. If you don't hunt, the .308 will do just fine. J.B.

A Ruger 77 chambered in .308 is also a good buy. A little more expensive than the Savage 110's, but cheaper than the Remington 700's or Winchester 70.

YMMV,

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for your input, guys. Dunno what I'ma gonna do. I think I may try to round up a used, but excellent, example of a Rem 700 ADL or standard Winchester M70 with a decent scope, in .308. I like the idea of a low-recoil .243, but as this rifle may be called upon to provide bear defense, I'd feel a little better with the .308. (although for REAL bear defense, I'm going to hang on to my grandfather's .470 N.E. double rifle, Tee-hee). 7mm-08 is appealing too, but just not as versatile as the .308 in my opinion. I've had nothing but good guns from Savage, and they are great deals, but I just know I'll have a lingering urge for a Rem or Winchester if I get one of those package deal 110's. So there it is. Time to go scavenge the racks at the local stores to see what's left. I'll post again when I return triumphant!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Back