RIFLE KIT

ctshep97

Inactive
i have built a few black powder pistols from kits. i am thinking about doing a rifle kit. i would like something in maybe 50 cal. would use for shooting and some hunting. can anyone suggest a good model and brand for around $500-$600?

kit

Lyman great plains or trades is almost the only choic today.

Traditions is another, but I believe Lyman is the better one

Lyman GPR in .50 slow twist 1/66 shoots roundballs good enough for a squirrel rifle. 35 grains of pyrodex has plenty of punch for that game. "Barking " squirrels has to be some of the funniest shooting ever.

Another vote for the GPR; I have two, one I built from a kit and a production (Lyman built) gun. Both are .54 cal. The kit is a flintlock and the production gun is a percussion. Both are excellent guns. The kit was semi-finished, which I intend to mean the only things I needed to do was finish wood and metal. There were a couple of problems with fit but a little patience and some careful carving/drilling easily solved them.

You won't be sorry if you get a GPR.

Rifle kit. Lots of them around. I never knew of anyone who put one together. I suppose if your one known to be articulate and having good wood working skills it shouldn't be all that difficult. Which of the two >Precussion or flint?

If one is not familar with inletting, I cannot recommend a kit from Jim Chambers, Track of the Wolf or any other vendor. The Great Plains can cause great pain but if there's a mistake, it's not like you messed up a $1,000 kit. For beginners, it's better to make their mistakes with inexpensive kits and as gun building skills improve, then progress onto more expensive kits.

Back