Rifle Identification

jckeffer

I'm trying to identify a rifle I just inherited. I've include 3 digital photos that hopefully will help in identifying the rifle. There are no significant indications of the manufacturer, caliber or date stamped anywhere on the rifle.

Note that the bolt (in pic rifle4.jpg) has a Mauser wing safety lever at the back of the bolt. The bolt handle is curved down.

I’ve excluded the stock as it is obviously custom.
I tried to measure the bore diameter but the best I can do is use some bullets I have. A .270 passes through with ease but a 30.06 will not (maybe under pressure ???)

My best guess would be a Mauser K98k in 7.92x57 (8mm mauser). If it is a K98 mauser I can get a gunsmith to mike the bore before I put any rounds through it.

Attachments

• Rifle with additional information.JPG
    Rifle with additional information.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 217
  • rifle4a.JPG
    rifle4a.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 194
  • rifle4b.JPG
    rifle4b.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 166
Let me be the first to say, I don't know for sure.

However, it is a small ring receiver and I do not see a safety lug on the bolt so it is NOT a K98.

It sure looks like a Spanish Mauser but a .277" (.270 Win) bullet would not pass freely through a 7mm bore (and surely not a 6.5).

Maybe Bubba Meets a Turk?

Better Pics

I've attached some better pictures. Picture Rifle5b.jpg is one I took this morning, picture mauser_k98_bolt_top_from_world_guns.jpg is a photo from the website World.Guns.RU. This is what makes me think it is a Mauser K98. Also the 7.92x57 mm Mauser is close to the 7.82 mm (30.06/.308) and while it would be a squeeze it is similiar to the fit of my unfired .308 bullet with my 30.06 rifle barrel. Hopefully I can find a gunsmith to verify the caliber - which I'm sure would narrow the field:)

ps = The rifle is not in bad condition - the interior of the barrel appears corrosion free (after a thorough cleaning). No pits, etc. The outside of the barrel/receiver and stock needs to be refinished/reblued, but if it shoots well it would probablybe worth refinishing.

Attachments

• Rifle5b.JPG
    Rifle5b.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 121
  • mauser_k98_bolt_top_from_world_guns.jpg
    mauser_k98_bolt_top_from_world_guns.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 99
The differences between your rifle and the '98 picture you found (marking indicates a 7.62 NATO conversion, probably Israeli) are very clear; they are not the same model.

Mostly, the '98 is a large ring Mauser, the receiver ring is larger than the rest of the receiver, with a definite step showing from the side rails to the ring. Also it has a flange on the front of the bolt sleeve to deflect leaking gas from a pierced primer or blown casehead. The extractor is also a different shape.
I don't know when they quit checkering the safety thumbpiece, but it is not usual on '98s I have seen, nor is the bolt handle bend.

Do take it to a gunsmith who can tell you what it is and what calibre.

Doing more work on these old sweatshop cut down surplus rifles is not usually cost effective... unless you can do it all yourself.

The other folks are correct; it is not a K98k or any kind of Model 98 Mauser.
I am willing to make a small bet that it is a Spanish Model 1916. It is not Swedish, since it does not have the unique checkered cocking piece of the Swedish guns. The Spanish Model 1893 did not have the thumb cut, but it was added in the 1916 rework. If so, the original caliber would have been 7x57. A 7mm bore (.276) should be too small for a .270 bullet (diameter .277) but many of those Spanish rifle have badly worn and rusted bores, so I can't categorically say the bullet wouldn't fit.

Anyway, I agree that you should have the rifle checked before shooting it.

Jim

It looks to me like a Mauser 1893 or 1895, due to the lack of a safety lug, the shape of the shroud and the shape of the striker. If it is not in 7X57 or 8X57, quite possibly could be a 7.62X51 rebarrel, as many of the Spanish Guardia Civil rifles are available now on the surplus market. Cast the chamber, it is the only way to be sure.

More on Rifle Id

I found a photo ot the Spanish Mauser 1916 and is certainly does look very close. (see newest comparison file). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you all know the caliber as soon as I can locate a good gunsmith.

If anyone knows of a good gunsmith in the Seattle, WA area please let me know ('Eastside' would be even better) :)

Attachments

• Rifle Similarities.JPG
    Rifle Similarities.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 72
Several of the points of difference between the Model 98 and previous actions are shown in those excellent photos. The safety of the 98 is "waisted" and has no checkering, the bolt sleeve has a large flange to deflect gas and has a bolt sleeve lock, and the front receiver ring is noticeably larger with a distinct "step" from the receiver rails to the ring. (There were some Mausers with a small receiver ring but with all the other characteristics of the Model 98, but that is not relevant here.)

Of course, there are many similarities; Mauser made a major leap with the 98 model, but it was more with the idea of correcting any and all reported problems with the earlier models than of change for the sake of change.

Jim

1916. Spanish.

They Are Great Guns. I Have One That Was Rechambered For The .308 (7.62 Nato) Shoots Great. The 7x57 Mauser Is A Long Hailed Traditional Cartridge With Not A Lot Of Kick But Fairly Good Accuracy And Distance. Good Luck With The Gun. .and If You Decide To Get Rid Of It, Please Let Me Know.

Back