Rifle for OH Deer Hunting

Nathan

I have a 12 ga slug gun now for deer, which I would like to morph into a 375 Winchester or 45-70. Honestly, under 100 yards, the shotgun is fine. Over 100, it would be hard to hit something. When standing, 100-250 yard shots are the norm. Obviously, I'm letting lots of those go. In the woods, typically you are just pushing deer to standers, but their can be shots.

I've been looking at Ruger #1's and Marlin lever actions I'm thinking that a small 2-7x or 1-6x scope would fill the bill.

We hunt a lot of woods and some marshy bottomed woods. Rain and snow are common. I think I would like an SS rifle, but it isn't an absolute.

Any rifles, scopes, or other suggestions for me as I ponder this?

How about a H&R/NEF singleshot? I actually have one in .45-70 and I like it. Short and light. More than capable of 100+ yards. I use Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. According to what I've read, they use powder that ups the velocity a bit without increasing pressure. The ones I've found are also around 300 grains so they are a bit on the light side so they'll go a bit faster I suppose. The main reason I buy them is the price, they are cheaper than cowboy loads.

I'd look for an older JM stamped Marlin 1895 and put a Williams FP sight on it.

The Ruger No1 needs a long eye relief scope or an odd mounting system to make it work.

If you mount a scope on the Marlin lever gun it's too high, they are made for iron sights. See if you can find a scoped one in the used racks, close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, then open your eyes. If you have to pick your head up the scope is too high. Everyone I've ever seen try this picks their head up off the stock.

Marlin 336 in 444 or 45-70 if you can find one. And then put see through rings on it and whatever scope works best for you. This way you can use the rifle sights if you are really close and need a fast shot. Or you can use the see through rings for quick acquisition and then look up through the scope and take your best shot.

I live in Ohio and I am not sure a 45-70 would be legal. Isn't there a maximum over all length or maximum cartridge length? I believe Ohio is set so that only pistol/revolver rounds can be used in rifles. You could either get a .50muzLe loader or get a rifles barrel and use sabot slugs, with some group testing of various loads and a decent scope 200yd fatal shots with a sabot slug should be Easy

I would go with either the 375 or even 38/55 as they are both straight wall cases. Even the Winchester 94 in a 357 would work around 200 yards.

Frank

45-70 is legal. They list them by name here in Ohio. It makes little sense. Frankly, I think 45-90 and 45-110 are legal!

375 Winchester and 444 Marlin are on the list too.

Here's the list:
Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

If you want SS then it'll be a Marlin for lever actions. Other than that you have the single shot rifles to look at H&R would be bottom end of price and Encore/Contender would be the upper end for SS. Since your required to use straight wall cartridges have you thought of the .357 Max?

With the .357 Max you should nearly .30-30 170 grain speeds with a 180 grain Hornady SSP bullet, and get better ballistics than the .30-30 using traditional flat nose bullets. At 2100 fps the Max with a 180 grain SSP bullet will give you a 238 yard MPBR and 800 ft-lbs of energy at MPBR. A 170 grain FP in .30-30 give you a 235 yard MPBR and 670 ft-lbs of energy at MPBR. Just make sure if you go with the Max your rifle uses a .358 diameter bore, that way you can take advantage of all the good .358 caliber bullets in the 200 grain and less range.

Last edited:
The problem with Ohio is they are in a changing phase so the rules could change year to year till they figure it out and add everything they want to include.

Ohio deer gun

I'm a Ohio hunter. Luckily I had a Marlin 1895 , 45/70 before this law passed.
I had had a Lyman 66 peep on it, but took it off and put on Weaver K3x. It
has no end bell so it sets low. 45/70 is way to much gun for deer. I hear guys
argue over bullets, loads, ect, you would think they are going after Cape buffalo
The perfect country western Ohio deer rifle in my opinion is the 375 win. Loaded
with spire point bullets it will reach out better than 45/70. Marlin, Winchester,
Ruger, and Savage made rifles in 375 win. I'm going to be looking for a Ruger
1 or Savage 99 for next years season. Price on them should come down, panic
buying run them up this year. I would not buy one of the cheap single shots if
I could afford a better gun.

That was my ideal too...a Ruger #1 SS in 375 Winchester, loaded with Hornady 225 gr spire points!

I hope we get a few companies to make a 375 Win and even some pointed 200-230 fr bullets.

Last edited:
375Win /spire points

Nathan, never owned #1 in 375 Win. I did have Win. BB 375s. A couple years
ago I was experimenting with pointed bullets in lever guns. I had Speer 235gr.
spires for my 375H&H, I know I loaded with IMR-3031, have records. Anyway
really improved groups. Also shot Speer 130gr HPs out of Marlin 336, again the
groups improved. Didn't do 45/70 , couldn't find good bullet to test. The 35 Rems I tested shot the RN bullets better, must be in the twist. My old Win. 95
won't shoot pointed bullets for crap either.

DO NOT PUT POINTED BULLETS IN TUBE MAGAZINE!!!!

From that list of calibers is sounds like someone who is writing the rules has a .375 Win. They have trouble finding stuff to shoot out of it so they figured if the Deer hunters have to use it or a few others a big company will make more guns, ammo, and componets in that caliber! lol, I mean why not the .30-30, 303, or 30-40? Just my bet but sounds like someone is a pre 50's american caliber fan, but really who isn't?

Back