Rifle for Antelope

prowler

I drew an antalope this year this will be fun to hunt for the big game. I like to hunt antalope more than deer be bause I will see the games (antalope) and try to sneak ose to bag them. I did know which rifle caliber I will take to shoot at 300 yards plus, .22-250, .270 W.M.,.300 Win Mag or .30-378 W.M. any sugestion?

Well, if you're going to use one of the rifles you listed, my choice would be the .270 Win. A nice flat shooting rifle that has enough oomph out to 500 yards and longer.

However, if you want an excuse for getting a new rifle, I'd go with a .25-06. It seems to me the the .25-06 was designed with antelope in mind.

Of the ones mentioned, I would take the .270 over the rest. Milder recoil, exellent balistics, and a known performer on Antelope.

Another vote for the 270. It makes a fantastic elk rifle with good 150 grain bullets, and should be just what the Dr. ordered for a goat at 100-400 yards with good bullets of 130 grains or more. Keep that 30-378 cannon in the truck though, if a 500 yard shot is all you get it it sure simplifies the shot provided you can shoot it.....

Wait guys! He's talking .270 WEATHERBY MAGNUM here! Thats one of the finest choices for antelope on the planet! Use Barnes X Bullets (130 grain Triple shock) so they won't blow apart. Man you got the best-forget the rest! ;)

Out of your line up ,hands down the 270WM is the way to go,Lopes call for prone shooting from time to time,more so then deer,don't need the bigger boomers to thump ya. 22-250 more than likely isn't allowed

Caliber choices.

243 Winchester - 6mm - would also be excellent choice, with the right bullet type.

Magnum calibers are unnecessary for antelope.

12-34hom.

The .270 is fine. If you want to buy anew gun the 25-06 is great. I shot mine with one. Realistically though, you are better off spending the effort shooting a long distances from field positions.

.270 W.M. Best choice for me

I went out and sight all the rifles I listed today, desire to take a .270 W.M. seem to be the best for me, it it more comforable than other plus with 130 grain power point is the best choice.

Thank you for suggestion, the season will be open on September 25, I will post some pictures if I get one.

I would also go with the .270 if you have one already. ALthough i have never hunted antelope, a .270 would be a good flat shooting gun for long distance shooting...

My one and only antelope, a fifteen-incher, couldn't have dressed out over 100 pounds. I used my '06 on account of confidence in "hittability", but I still think it was overkill...

:), Art

I have killed them with 25-06, .270 Win. and 30-06. They all do the job nicely. Use what you are most comfortable with. My favorite is the 25-06, as even the .270 seems like overkill.

I'm going to chime in. I have both the .270 wm and 30-378. The latter would be serious overkill for antelope. The .270 would be my choice or maybe even the .257 Weatherby

Kelsey
High Mountain Hunting Supply
www.luvtohunt.com

I just finished a hunter "sight in" at the range I belong to. Some guy was shooting a 30-378. That's quite a cartridge......Felt the blast from about 30 ft away. Grouped well, though. He had 5 shots in about a 1/2"-3/4" group @ 100 yds before he left, handloads. I'd say it was a bit much for Antelope, too.

I have taken numerous antelope with both the 270 and 25-06. I have also used a 300 ultra mag and 300 weatherby. I do not really buy into the overkill thing. I feel the best gun to use is the one that you want to hunt with that day and feel comfortable with. My wife and I each took a antelope buck and 2 does each this year. They were all taken with a accutrigger Savage 112 22-250 using the new 53 gr.Barnes Triple Shock bullet. All 6 antelope where 1 shot kills from ranges of 150 yards out to 450 yards. Shot placement is the best advice.
Scott

I’ve taken antelopes with both a .300wm and a .257 Roberts. The 300 was loaded with 110grain boat tails and did little more damage then the .257 which was loaded with 116 grain soft points.
The reason I took both weapons is that while I am very confident in the Roberts I am unsure about it’s clean kill ability out over 300 yards. With the .300 I am very confident in one shot one kill.
And on Prairie Goats that 270 is just fine.

.270 Weatherby

that .270 Mag. is the only antelope gun youve got a .22 centerifre would do it but not as well and the .300 and .30-378 would do it too well unless you want to buy a new rifle in which case a .243 with a good 80 grainer would take one with ease

i see a prime opportunity to buy another rifle.
say a MKV deluxe in 257 weatherby, roys favorite.

Back