Rifle for a kid???

felixcat

Inactive
My seven year old nephew and his dad are looking to purchase a rifle. What recommendation do any of you have as for the make, model, caliber, size, simplicity, etc... basically a good first time rifle for a kid. Any suggestion will be helpful and no I don't want them shooting my AR-15 or M1A.

.22 bolt action, probably a Marlin and (not to be nosey,but) preferably used under the strictest supervision. I believe that Marlin makes one called "a papoose" that is kid size.

I have been looking at 22 rolling block type rifles at gun shows for my grandson. They are old rifles and look like the were made with kids in mind. I think they will make a nice first rifle. My reasoning is they have to take time to load each round, therefore no fast follow up shots. I think this will add to safe shooting and promote making each shoot count (fire discipline). I also think it will make a nice old rifle for the Grandson to hang on his wall someday and say "my Granddad got that for me".

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

[This message has been edited by Swamprat (edited June 10, 1999).]

I got my younger son a Marlin M25Y. Its a bolt action single shot with a kid sized stock and a 16 inch barrel. Very good little gun. I'm tempted to put that action into an adult stock for myself.

If he's small, a Chipmunk. My nephews love mine. Another gun which looks very promising is the reintroduced Stevens Favorite.

I learned years ago never try teaching with a semi-auto. Few kids have impulse control and promptly resort to spray n' pray - a technique not conducive towards the virtues of good marksmanship.

As (s)he improves, then a bolt action with a magazine is good.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I didn't have to think about this one. My dad bought a single shot .22 and single shot .410 for his grand kids at yard sales. I thought that was pretty cool! My daughter can't wait to go. She had her first taste of .22 at Girl Scout camp.

Michael K - NRA, MCRGO

Does it need to be a firearm? A pump airgun may enable him to shoot more often and in more places. Not only that, but he has to work to fire each shot.

Once again I find myself in total agreement with Greyfox. The Marlin 25Y is the perfect youngster's rifle: inexpensive, properly sized and balanced, safe and accurate. My shooting pard picked up one of these for use at the lodge by his innumerable grandkids. A 15-minute light trigger stoning and a good quality one-inch rimfire 'scope made it a literal tack driver. We put 11 rounds through one hole at 25 yds with it, shooting alternately and passing the rifle back and forth; then the slab, sides sore with laughter, pulled one off the group. we measured the 11 round group c-to-c at .11". Can't do much finer than that for $115.00!
[Error correction: After seeing John's pic below, I realize that the model Marlin I was referring to was the 15YN, not the 25, which is a full sized rifle suitable for the older shooter.]

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

[This message has been edited by slabsides (edited June 23, 1999).]

Buy the kid good equipment! A "Chipmunk" is stiff, has an awful trigger and is terribly inaccurate.
Anschutz makes a .22 called the "Achiever" that has stock inserts that you put in as the child grows. When he gets good enough, the rifle is accurate enough to compete with (not to mention the fact that you can put in all the inserts and borrow the rifle yourself!).
I started my son with an Achiever at age 5. He quickly progressed and took bucks on opening day at the age of 6 and again at 7 (with a .223) - he'll likely do it again this year.
Buy quality and instill an appreciation of firearms in the child. A first rifle should be a fine rifle.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

22rifg.gif

I would recommend the Marlin model 15YN. You can find it here.

John

------------------
"America is at that awkward stage.
It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to start shooting the bastards."
--Claire Wolfe

The first firearm I ever "owned" that was given me by my dad was a single shot Ithaca 49 Saddlegun. Lever action falling block. Another reason I love lever actions to this day.

Mariln model 80 is VERY nice. Spare magazines are still available for $10 ea. Some come with an aperture rear, though most just have a leaf sight. Pity they are not scope-ready.

I'd avoid autoloader as they tend to require more attention/cleaning and more picky about ammo.

On Marlin Papoose -- the two that I used were jammamatics, and sometimes dislodged their own magazines while firing...and lousy triggers, too. Overall, I was very unimpressed.

I have heard of another youth gun not mentioned here, that is the Cricket.

Anyone have any comments about it?

Who makes it?

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

John, are you talking about the "Noisy Cricket" from MIB? Talk to Will Smith about it, it has one heck of a recoil for its small size!
wink.gif

I'm also open to the reintroduced Stevens Crackshot falling block single shot .22.

But, lest we forget, see if Billy's guvmint will sell you a gun through CMP. They've got some nice .22 at decent prices. The only problem is the stock will be a bit long and you'll have to saw it down to fit the kid.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back