RIFLE Dilemma. Should I order a Boyds stock to put what I have bought iant last year .

Bearbuck

Dilemma. Should I order a Boyds stock to put my Rem770 to upgrade it or Buy a new TC Compass? The Rem I bought off a guy that didnt like recoil. I have added a brake, a recoil pad and mounted a 4x12x40 nikon scope. It shoots solid 1.25" and sometimes under 1 inch groups. I can do that or I can pay for the thompson center rifle compass in 300 win mag.what do u all think? Thanks

install a 70 dollar dead mule,available from midway in the butt stock and of course a good recoil pad. saves you money and as the gun shoots good, just tame it. why get rid of a good shooter, again, just tame it.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Frankly, I would go to the store amend try the fit/function of the Win XPR, Ruger American, TC Compass, Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis, Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, etc. Tikka T3 is also in this group, but at a higher price.

All are basically low cost, market tuned, machined for accuracy rifles. I think our choices would likely be different.

I was looking for a 350 Legend, so XPR made a lot of sense to me.

Dilemma. Should I order a Boyds stock to put my Rem770 to upgrade it or Buy a new TC Compass? The Rem I bought off a guy that didnt like recoil. I have added a brake, a recoil pad and mounted a 4x12x40 nikon scope. It shoots solid 1.25" and sometimes under 1 inch groups

What are you trying to accomplish with a new stock? As you are considering a Compass (which is fairly light) in .300 Win Mag I'm going to guess that recoil is not the concern.

"...4x12..." 12X is far too much magnification for a .300 Mag. Regardless of what rifle.
The brake will increase the muzzle blast and noise too.
Reviews of the Remington M770 are not favourable. However, if the thing is consistently shooting 1.25" at 100(what bullet weight matters a little.) yards, don't do anything. It's likely as good as it's going to ever be.
Keep in mind that the TC weighs 7.5 lbs. In .300 Mag it will not be fun to shoot.
A 180 grain bullet at 2960 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle has 25.9 ft/lbs of recoil.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but putting a $200 stock on a $300 rifle doesn't make a lot of sense unless you really like the rifle. If you're looking for a 300 Win Mag, get a rifle that's a little heavier.

Ok. The 770 is a project. I got into it for 50 dollars and couple trade items. Kind of a challenge to see how far I can take it. However practicality saids it's crazy throwing money at something that will break down and not be able to be fixed. Then I'm stuck with pretty stick no rifle in it.
In the midst of playing with this thing and killing a couple deer with it this year I realized I really like the 300 win mag so I want one that will last . It doesn't necessarily have to be even a middle of road level rifle. Just one that will last me and be serviceable when I want to use it. I do have tendency to get lost in some things and wanting to tinker more and more with them even if they aren't worth the value to do so. The stick for 770 was just cosmetics. Just something different to dress it up but as others say lipstick on a pig........ But my son has a TC Compass and lives it. I actually worked up loads for it and it shoots great.

You're done with the Rem 770, you can't save that sinking ship. Just be happy you're getting 1.25" groups out of a 770 and leave it at that. You've already put far more into it than I would of by adding a brake. I'd trade it to the first person who likes it better than you.

In the midst of playing with this thing and killing a couple deer with it this year I realized I really like the 300 win mag so I want one that will last .

"Last"? What does that mean? How long will it last? It's a tool, with moving parts and it will wear out, eventually ...... Depends upon how much you shoot it: You can't re-barrel it .... the barrel is press fit to the action ..... once accuracy starts to fall off because of wear (throat erosion, most likely) ..... it's "done" ....it's a disposable rifle ..... and even that "standard" (accuracy) means different things to different people ..... competition benchrest shooters think a barrel is "shot out" after as little as 6-800 rounds ..... I've seen my own best groups with the original barrel on my 1958 270Win Remington 721 go from under an inch to just over 1 1/2" in 20 some years.... couldn't tell you how many rounds .... I've had days where I shot 250 and years when I shot about 100 .... It's getting about that time, I think .....

..... but how much do you shoot, really? Do ya shoot a box (20 round factory ammo standard- I reload, so the smallest ammo box I got is 50) or two before deer season and that's all? If so, that sucker will last you forever, even if you outlive Methuselah ..... also ..... if recoil is an issue, then a different stock might help - major factors in perceived recoil are indeed, weight of the gun, ( stocks are major part of this) physical fitness of the shooter, (mostly ignored these days, IMO ) , and stock fit ..... if you have good form and stock fit, and good physical condition.... such that you have a good cheek weld with correct sight height and can actually hold onto the gun ..... your gun and whole body recoil as a unit....

... the 770 was made/designed/marketed to the lowest price point possible, but it's more than adequate for the average consumer ..... most people will never shoot the gun they bought very much..... certainly never enough to find out if it's mechanical accuracy potential is falling off ...... so .... what's the answer? Do you spend money on a stock, or buy another gun? ...

..... I'll defer to the Wise and Experienced Col. Jeff Cooper, when asked, "What is the Best Rifle?" , answered thusly:

"Why, the one you HAVE, of course! Rare is the marksman that can shoot up to his rifle."

The shooter is always the weakest link in the "platform" ...... you could do a bit of research .... but I'll give you the cliff's notes: Shoot your gun from a bench with a lead sled..... with whatever load perfect conditions ...... measure group size ..... now try to beat that, from field positions, under time pressure ...... you may never get there, but if you work at it, I guarantee you'll be a better practical shooter...... and you might need a new gun, eventually.

Dilemma. Should I order a Boyds stock to put my Rem770 to upgrade it or Buy a new TC Compass? The Rem I bought off a guy that didnt like recoil. I have added a brake, a recoil pad and mounted a 4x12x40 nikon scope. It shoots solid 1.25" and sometimes under 1 inch groups. I can do that or I can pay for the thompson center rifle compass in 300 win mag.what do u all think? Thanks
I hate the 770. 783 is a good economy rifle, but 770???

Last edited:
"...4x12..." 12X is far too much magnification for a .300 Mag. Regardless of what rifle.
The brake will increase the muzzle blast and noise too.
Reviews of the Remington M770 are not favourable. However, if the thing is consistently shooting 1.25" at 100(what bullet weight matters a little.) yards, don't do anything. It's likely as good as it's going to ever be.
Keep in mind that the TC weighs 7.5 lbs. In .300 Mag it will not be fun to shoot.
A 180 grain bullet at 2960 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle has 25.9 ft/lbs of recoil.
Dont tell my 300 win mag that. It might get a complex. It has a 5x25 on it. It does wonderful deer hunting. Its not a brush gun, but I dont want it to be. 25x sure is nice shooting in the woodline at the far end of the bean field.

Back